Bandwith needed per client

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by Woodee, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I love "rules of thumb" as ways to remember things.

Is there an official number on the bandwith needed per client so I know how many clients I could support on a certain connection?

1mb/s upload = x clients?

2. JGraf

JGraf Registered

curious, i did a test, probably meaningless...

the server GUI has bandwidth sliders, upload/download, they go from 10k - 8mb.
    my conn is rated 1mb up, 4mb down, set those sliders to reflect that, and launch the server, the server GUI displays up/download data rate usage % on the interface.
    empty server = 0%up, 0%down
    1 client joins = 24%up, 5%down
    interesting, based on this i could only host 4 clients? have hosted more without issue.
    so, a connection with 8mb upload could host 32 clients.
    ...expect other things do cause individuals to suck more bandwidth.

3. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

isn't it more about the restrictions you can put in (lower values) then increasing it?
    I mean, its not a magical slider, the max connection speed is determined by the server box, not rf2. so with a good connection max it cause it don't matter anyways.

Or am I talking out of teh rear?

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Surprised a single client used that much, but remember the server's job is to fit everyone in as well as possible... when you're well under your maximum speed it may not limit the outgoing data very much, but as more people join it will start to reduce what everyone sees (less frequent updating of distant cars, for example) so that they remain within the limit. Of course this can only go so far, and 1Mb upload is pretty limited.

Also, bandwidth requirement (ignoring what the server does to help) doesn't go up linearly with number of players. So you can't say that if 4 players use x bandwith, 32 players will use x * 8... it doesn't work that way.

5. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

So there is no rule of thumb then? How about what machine specs are required to run a dedi server? I got a pretty good connection 100 down and 20 up, got enough old hardware to knock a windows box up probably. What cpu and ram would I need to host a 10 slot server?

6. Radar

Radar Registered

For a 10 Slot server any old machine will do this for sure. For example, Win XP, 4gb Ram, don't need a flash gfx card and if you have 100 down and 20 up then this will be fine also for a 10 slot server.

7. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

Cool, thanks, a project! If only there was a linux slackware server version. (I already have an unRaid box)