Baffled by press

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Promag, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

You're doing it right, then! You should only care about news on upcoming content and progress updates, everything else you can judge by yourself especially if you have access to all titles. Otherwise it's nice if you find someone who shares very similar ideas and feedback to you and does have access to titles you don't - that means you can most often than not trust their judgment to mirror how yours would be. Especially if you can be impartial.

I'd love to take your wager. Fanboys of those would never touch rF2, legal or not. There's been quite a few people who got their hands on an illegal leak of an incomplete (as in the guy who uploaded it did about 10-20% of the game he had at the time, core-wise) pCARS build of a few weeks ago but guess what? The crap they say doesn't matter. Comments such as this are easily and readily discarded due to their non constructive nature.

2. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Yeah esp when people compare rF2 usefulness and life to ..................................... LFS !!! :rolleyes:

Oh my goodness

3. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

A thousand voices, a thousand individuals.

I even respect those gamers Noel describes, if they can't have fun with rf2 because too difficult or whatever and they can with AC or what have you...why not?
    And then humans must pick sides, they must. so they voice in in the typical webby ways of ours without any filters whatsoever. and then we read them and get upset. so silly.

I have it fairly easy in this, I don't read 'news' sites, I don't watch video 'reviews', don't do social media, heck, I hardly check my own email :p
    such tranquillity :)

Its a choice, both ways. posting or reading. do as Guimengo says, just don't read. it will literally make zero difference apart from your mood and blood pressure remaining stable :)

4. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I do not understand why more sims can't be like iRacing.

rF3 Pro version ( total new approach ) ....take the entire Ai , offline and 3rd party components out.

Then I would just butcher aids, views, menus and anything else I never liked. hehehe lol

In other words nothing you don't use to drive a real car.

It is okay bagging my thoughts then people go away and use digital huds, OSD's and button boxes to drive a Historic car.

I just don't get it.

5. Promag

Promag Registered

Well I would think it makes a difference to ISI and its business. This wasn't a forum comment. When a blogger, journalist, publisher, webmaster what ever you want to call him makes a statement like that it goes a long way. It wasn't a pointed criticism it was broad stroke of "struggling rf2". I don't know what it would take to turn that image around but of all the sims and I'm talking there is some highly touted junk out there, Rf2 strides above others and yet it's reputation is marginal at best. Hell it was the last sim I tried because of it's reputation and I was shocked how good it was. I am not sucker but I am a consumer and can be swayed by reputation. My baffled statement wasn't me looking for affirmation that i was driving the right sim, but can public perception possibly halt the production of my favorite past time and a great product?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2014
  6. Ekimelyobo

Ekimelyobo Registered

You can try and discard it as much as you like. But the fact that AC has been available for pirate download since pretty much day one, and the fact that Pcars is also now available for pirate download, and the fact that RF2 isn't available(as far as I'm aware), will undoubtedly increase the amount of comments and vitriol aimed at a game the pirate community are denied..... "I've seen the youtube videos - It's Sh*$!" said the typical virtualbra commenter*

Do pirates make good beta/alpha/jinglytesticle sim testers?

Edit

I had a pirate copy of Rf1... Bought Rf2 during the first build, love it like a slightly wayward son. Sometimes it doesn't do what I want it to do, It doesn't look like I thought It'd look, But im part of it, and it's part of me. Money well spent.
    Paid for AC the week/month it came out - I treat it like an old alcoholic uncle who owes me money. I engage with it sometimes but it always leaves me feeling dirty. Wish I'd have pirated it.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2014
  7. Promag

Promag Registered

That is an interesting point, never thought about that aspect. Don't know if it's true or not but sounds feasible. I have worked with music artists that have got distribution deals with that concept. Interesting.

8. Natureboy

Natureboy Registered

Yea, could be they just want it free and won't pay. But, rF2 is very worth the $85, many people here feel guilty about how cheap and how great a value rF2 is. I bought AC, and frankly compared to rF2 its not even worth the waste of electricity it would take to get it for free.

9. karkai6

karkai6 Registered

Sim racers are definitely not a dying breed.. We are definitely in a transitional phase, as mentioned... And the 'racers' are over at iracing, where the scene is quite bubbling with respect to "racing"... rf2, for me as of now is an offline only sim, and still provides pretty great value for money..

10. stonec

stonec Registered

rF2 isn't dying and content keeps coming out steadily. Leagues like my league (FSR) also have had steadily increase in members. Pickup online racing is pretty much dead and it doesn't help that ISI has done very little effort of improving usability of server interface (make autodownload option work better, password filters, sort by ping, etc, basic options missing). Same with graphics. Graphics are not very important to me but those YouTube videos are a big selling point and way of getting community/modders more interested. It doesn't get anyone more interested when Interlagos comparison video shows that a game based on 7-year old engine (GSCE) looks better than rF2 Interlagos, and not just marginally. Considering how advanced tire model and physics is currently in use, I would have expected some basic graphics improvements to come quicker. Same regarding user interface which is worse in design than rF1/GSCE. The core sim is there, the simple things are missing.

11. Depco

Depco Registered

Well said. This was my point from the beginning. The core game is there and in very good shape. It's the other stuff, graphics (DX11 or 12), UI, Online tools and usability, that has to be a focus and priority to compete. I really want rF2 to kick the tail off of all other sims. It is my favorite sim and has all the necessary functions to be the best, but public opinion can be a hard mistress to deal with and must be managed properly. Ask Betamax and HD DVD, they'd tell you, if they were still around...

12. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

+1

13. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I don't have a favorite racer despite being a tester for one. I do however have favorite cars and tracks. But despite not having my "one game" what always irks me is misinformation, even worse is misleading information. I think poor old R3E is the one game that doesn't get that benefit except on the sounds - everything has to sound like R3E because that's what people assume real life perceptible sounds are like.

14. Depco

Depco Registered

Im not entirely sure R3E is in the same category as rF2. While they are both simulators, rF2 is a pay once and done business model (outside of the third party Payware mods like URD). R3E is a pay as you go business, more in tune with IRacing. It is not even a consideration in my book for that very reason. If I wanted to pay for content I would simply sub to IRacing. I am not getting down on R3E, it is just not my flavor of business model.

15. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

There is more complaining about complainers than there is actually doing something to improve the sim. And IMO, a whole heck of a lot of this falls on ISI as well.

Now I go into a rant. Again. Don't want to read, don't. Wouldn't rant if I didn't care, I'd just resign rF2 to the SRW category if that was the case. This is going to be a post you print out and read on the toilet and wipe with afterwards, it'll be fairly long.

Is BSimRacing "press"? Or is Wim just a guy with a website you visit? Am I "press"? Or just a guy with a youtube channel? Does VirtualR actually mean anything? Or is it just some yet another guy with a website. What about ISR?

Wim with BSR clearly interjects a bit of his own "story" with each news article, I sure as hell am more of an editorial style and more than willing to say what I think. VirtualR and ISR try to position themselves as more strictly news sites, but even then... Rob at VR is a SMS employee, ISR was/is paid by iRacing (not sure if they still are, don't really care either), and quite clearly so. I remember a while back there were people begging for an ISR video on rF2, then when it came.... holy crap was that hilarious - from both sides. People bitched about EVERYTHING, while offering close to zero assistance. (such as helping with the setups, pointing out the ATVs were done for fun in the employee's free time in a nice, why the Civic's FFB was "weird" whil doing so in a non argumentative tin foil hatter fashion) Keep going...

Take a step back and look at this thread. Remove your love for the game. There is nothing wrong with liking one game over another, but you can't understand why people would say what they say when you don't look at it logically from the point of view of someone not accustomed to your preferred game's flaws. They all have flaws, it's a question of which suit you best.

It's paranoia. rFactor 2 is paranoia.

You conveniently skip over the fact that BSR did post the preview videos for Mountain Peak, Jacksonville, Tiger Moth, Interlagos, NSX preview, SimHQ interview - the same stuff everyone is posting. September 19th is when ISI's news page displays Build 860, same date BSR's article. The only stuff there is to post. What do the other titles have that rF2 lacks on BSR coverage wise? A couple of mod previews of a few understandably anticipated - and anticipated in high quality - mods. (AC's 787B, Miata and TUSCC mod) I'll feel very safe in saying he'll post Enduracer's previews when they become available. What do you want from the guy? What is there to show?

I'd put as much blame on ISI themselves for lack of positive press or "keeping people engaged" press - Or should I say the mentality of "we're not good enough." That's how I interpret ISI's own lack of care when it comes to press / marketing. Gotta help yourself help yourself.

ISI doesn't release preview screenies in any sort of quantity - you get one or two from the track team at best that show pretty much nothing most of the time. Besides Silverstone, Mores and IIRC Loch Drummond they just don't do anything in that regard. Show people the game doesn't actually look like rFactor 1, because when you have it set up right, it doesn't! Like people have rightly pointed out, there are a lot of people who know nothing of rF2 but those poorly converted tracks, low detailed cars and poor lighting thanks to a bug in the HDR at noon (I don't recall ever hearing anything about that until this last update, though I rarely if ever use noon...) because they don't even have the game.

ISI doesn't do renders of incoming cars. Whip up that excitement. Show off that 3D modelling skill. Means absolutely nothing, but it puts rF2 back in the mind.

ISI doesn't do trailers. Funnily enough (Don't hate me Tim!) I know a guy who actually had a trailer done for ISI for Indy - and it's never seen the light of day. I don't think anyone besides ISI, The guy making the video and me have seen it. No offense Tim, but you aren't a video guy! I know he knows this, but still. Sometimes resample / frame blending is on and the video looks absolutely horrid, some are 720 and some are 1080... The NSX video with 3 different audio channels mixed into one echo chamber.

Let me quote Tim directly from the Interlagos dev update video -
    "That's an interesting comment. People ask for communication, not marketing. They're given communication, not marketing. People complain that there should be marketing, and push aside the value of communication."

That says everything you need to know, it really does. This backasswards idea that marketing and communication from a developer are two different things and communication is entirely different than marketing and the two never come from the same source.

Then shall we mention ISI's "quality control" and "content release schedule" that seems like a shotgun approach to development? It should be considered embarrassing that Interlagos looks simply superior in GSCE than the much more advanced rFactor 2 engine. Then we're told the bugs with the shader (which seem much more an issue here there than Tiger Moth) will be fixed in the next build. Was it okay to release content that was known to be poorly functioning? How will that help rFactor 2?

Then you get into the fact that there is very, very little racing going on in rFactor 2 - but several leagues. The community never adapted to a much lower player count, and at this point I highly doubt it will. Leagues are fine and dandy - but when your online play is so very heavily reliant upon leagues, well, your doomed. It's still baffling to me that ISI hasn't pushed towards community nights at the least in an effort to get more people online and create more interaction in the community. Get rid of all the poor garbage servers that don't have things like GetMod working, consist of poor quality content and get more people into one server.

When you love a game you don't see the faults.

Thats enough for one post.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2014
  16. Depco

Depco Registered

I don't always choose scathing and on point posts, but when I do, I choose Empty Box

17. Promag

Promag Registered

Now that's more like it. I was hoping that the thread wouldn't devolve into which sim is better which it inevitably did. My point of the thread was to spur debate on "press" regardless of where it comes from. The knowledge of the incestuous situation with the websites explains alot, should have known. As far as press goes yes to all the existential questions. Press is made by readership or viewership and your validity comes with your reputation and trust of it. My love of anything is never clouded by a lack of critical thinking or some would say cynicism. I am assuming your last statement was rhetorical so I won't take it personally. LOL I agree all of sim racing needs to get on the multi-media clue bus.

18. Davy TASB

Davy TASB Registered

Aye, stopped reading that site myself now. Theres a particular female poster on there who is dazzled by pretty graphics, marks down and slags off anything to do with rFactor2 at every opportunity even though she doesn't own it. She also got her "legs slapped" by a prominent member of the ISI team for continually posting utter sh*te about rFactor 2.

19. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

I know exactly who you mean. But wouldn't you think an unbiased site like that would tell her to reign it in a bit... no chance.. collecting the pay cheque from WMD prevents that. But I'm just a conspiracy theorist lol
    I stopped looking at virtualrcade, stopped following on Facebook etc.

20. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Lulz :) 'MelUK' <3