B382 Tracks and Characters textures flashing to white depending camera and angles

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by YoLolo69, Jan 13, 2014.

1. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

I have a problem with some tracks textures flashing to white, and depending the camera and angle I choose to drive. It first came several weeks after installing Build 382 and right after installation of the Civic. In any case, this problem appear only on certain non-ISI tracks (wasn't able to find an ISI track with this problem) and even without choosing the Civic. Uninstalling it and the problem still there so I'm not 100% sure is due to installation of this car, the fact is it appear after its installation for sure as I often drive at Lienz and didn't see this problem before. I guess it's a combination of several factors...

At lienz it's only flashing speed panels, danger panels, etc., at Sebring is part of building and roaster, etc.

In the video thread I saw a video of the Lada Cup than Galaga posted showing the exact same problem on several objects at the boarder of the track so I'm not the only one.

My next attempt will be to make a complete fresh installation after full cleanup, B382 has been installed using light installer on top of B342. I just want to let you know this happened to me, and if somebody had the same problem...

Here a short video made at Aintree. I displayed the bar showing the video ram too in case it's useful. At the end you can see than switching camera and the problem changed. In any case if the problem is not showed, rotating the camera (E.g. on chase view) and it appear and disappear depending angles. Also when other cars cross the screen...

Edit: The Galaga video showing the same bug:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2014
  2. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

I have the same issue, looks like when the camera is near some textures go white.

3. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

This looks similar to the old [Specular T1 shader "flashing" issue], but taken to the extreme. I don't think we ever got an explanation regarding what caused the flashing, only that the specular T1 shader was a bad choice.

4. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

Ok, so we are at least 3 (Galaga, pay2021 and me). I gonna make a YT visit to check recent B382 videos just to see if more people are impacted.

Ok, so I removed completely rF2, cleaned all, and installed the B382 lite version, installed only ISI packages but Civic, and first kept all default options->No problem. Then I set my own options (graphics, controller, etc.)->No problem (but as I said I never had such problem on ISI tracks). Then I installed first non-ISI track Aintree->Same problem than my video. Uninstalled Aintree and Installed Lienz->Same problem on Lienz panels.

So the Civic is not the problem here. Something wrong in Build 382 around textures (edit: or on a lot of non-ISI tracks and the problem appear just now with B382?). We know we have a bug currently with VRAM management, a.k.a. the "too many civic loaded at Silverstone" Incident, so it's possibly linked to that...

5. kro388th

kro388th Registered

4 , I see it as well on a non ISI track VLM Mid Ohio , the fence blinks from original color to white .. This with the honda ..

6. Nils

Nils Registered

+1
    Happened to me too on the Hidden Valley track with some trackside objects

7. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

Ok, I confirm for Hidden Valley on trackside objects, and fence at mid-ohio. Yesterday I wanted to make a list of tracks having this problem, but was too tired to proceed... As it's only some non-ISI tracks and because it's always, in my case, the same affected objects (it don't move if I reload the same track), it could be some "bad" flagged textures, or with a specific attribute or something like that, and B382 revealed the problem?

In any case, I'm glad I'm not the only one ;) Hope ISI will see this if they have some non-ISI tracks installed (that's why I tried to reproduce this problem with ISI tracks ;)).

8. SmellySkidmark

SmellySkidmark Registered

+1
    I've seen this at CALDERPARK_LMS & SymmonsPlainsRaceway

SS

9. vittorio

vittorio Registered

I had same problem for Nordschleife (0.97n). IIRC Setting Soft particles to OFF solved the problem.

10. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

I just opened up Aintree in 3DSimED and sure enough, both the flashing metal fence and the flashing metal parts of the Autocar sign use the Specular T1 shader. I believe it's the same fundamental issue as the old flashing, but possibly emphasized by the soft particles option. The author of Aintree should if possible switch to Specular Map T1 shaders instead of Specular T1 because that cured the flashing effect in earlier builds.

I tried to report the flashing issue as a bug multiple times before, but unfortunately it was never looked into.

11. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

I confirm this, setting Soft Particles to OFF solved the problem.

12. kro388th

kro388th Registered

Also again in another VLM track Sebring , we were on the modified version ... fence's again ..

I have noticed something as well ,because of a vid card upgrade I can now crank the sim up to full , these VLM tracks always had good performance on my old rig they were smoothest compared to the ISI tracks and some others and I also never saw the flashes on my old card with med settings ..

Now they are among the worst ..lol they still look fantastic, FPS is above 50's on the dreaded start grid and steady 70's once it recovers however the the other tracks are hitting 120fps after recovering from 60's at start .. ... just something I happily noticed ..lol

These VLM tracks were some of the first released and set the mark for sure ,I hope VLM can possibly make another pass on these as I belive the progress of the ever evolving sim will require some changes along the way for the modders ... They are hero's for getting us content early on shame the price is going back in in some cases ! Big thanks to ALL modders out there !! lol

13. kro388th

kro388th Registered

So far in build 494 it seems to be fixed !! no more flashing ..