SOLVED Auto ban joining dedicated server

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Jan Cato Larsen, Sep 8, 2022.

1. Jan Cato Larsen

Jan Cato Larsen Registered

Right, this one is weird and I have not seen it before in my time around rf and rf2. We have a guy in our community that tried to join our server and ended up on the ban list. I know I never banned him and no one else have the abillity, not that he needs banning in the first place, but thats beside the point.
    I removed him from the ban list and restarted all the servers we have running.
    I watched the server chat and as he tried to join he got "removed from server, banned". This happened automatically and his name appeared now 2 times in the bans.txt.
    While he joined the servers, he downloaded everything needed, content and mod, so when he got kicked he could play the "series" offline. he do own all the content we have on the server, I know, I have checked his files.

Is there a mechanism that auto bans people? Faulty content or similar?

I am at a loss here

Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
  2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Does the server log show anything at the time he was kicked out?

3. Jan Cato Larsen

Which of the logs are we talking about?

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The results log of the session, should show IP address etc when someone joins. If it shows them getting kicked it may say something about why.

5. Jan Cato Larsen

No, It does not have any trace of it. Not even shows the txt where it says he get banned. I will look again, but we do use log analyzer and have the files online too. Nothing in there
    It now goes for all official servers with "new" content too, so not just ours. Seems related to BTCC content and Mini so far

EDIT:I checked all log files again, nothing. It is like it never happened.

6. redapg

redapg Registered

@Jan Cato Larsen Did he recheck all the used Content?
    Some Users edit MAS Files, which seems to work offline, but if they try to enter a Server with such an edited Mod, it will be detected as "not allowed" and so he can not join and get banned, because the Code maybe judges that as a Try to cheat.

Jan Cato Larsen likes this.
  7. Jan Cato Larsen

Tbh, he would prob not know what a .mas file is until I show him.
    Only thing I can think of is maybe a paint job he has installed, but to be very frank here, he is not one to poke into stuff he dont know.
    I will check that though.

8. lagg

lagg Registered

If the user had changed any .mas, he couldn't enter to the server but i don't think that he would have received a ban.
    For me, that doesn't have too much sense.

Are you sure that there isn't any message in the log of that session in the server?

9. Jan Cato Larsen

Yes, very sure.
    There is no mention of his user name or any thing at all that show him being there.
    The only reason I know it was auto ban was that I watched the event log on the server instance as I was on the dedi box right after it happened the 2nd time.
    But the chat log or result file did not show it. Nothing.
    The thing is, I have not heard of being automatically banned. Not being able to join due to corrupted files is something else.

10. Jan Cato Larsen

Unless anyone has heard of anything similar, or confirm either way if ayto ban is indeed possible at all, I guess I'll try an Anydesk session with him, uninstall content, wipe the folder after, try reboot to check for autoinstall of content or whatnot, reinstall and try again.

Never used to have these issues. rF2 is slowly becomming a Frankensteins monster. Made up of patches that in the end will break it beyond repair.
    There are niggles. Being dropped when session turn over, ffb loss(more than usual, and reset ffb does not work on the 2 DD wheels I know of), etc etc

11. Jan Cato Larsen

Btw, thanks for your suggestions.

lagg likes this.
  12. Jan Cato Larsen

UPDATE: We did 2 things to remedy this, it can be a combo of both or either, I dont know.
    1:I deleted the bans.txt completely and rebooted the dedi box.
    2:User deleted cbash folder content. (This is probably the fix as it was not ONLY our server he had issues with)

User can now connect again.

redapg and Lazza like this.