Ati or Nvidia?

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Tom, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Tom

Tom Registered

I'm going to be able to do a little upgrade (video card and memory) to my computer which currently has an ATI Radeon 5700 card. Is there a general consensus as to whether rF2 likes ATI or NVidea cards better? I'm reluctant to get away from ATI because it's been great for rF1 and has never given me any issue....if it ain't broke, don't fix it IMO. However, if the game runs better with an equal NVidia card I'd go ahead and change as long as I know for sure that an NVidia card would be as solid. I don't know what card I'll be getting but I'm on a budget and I don't need to have all the graphics maxed out to be happy. I just want to be able to run rF2 with things set higher than low or off.

Thanks,

Tom

2. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

ATI HD 4800 here, running rf2 on max or high + HDR. 50/80fps and smooth framerate most of the time.
    If you're on a tight budget maybe fiddle with it some more.

But otherwise I would also post the rest of the hardware so the techy guys can size it up properly for you.

3. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

Having plenty of experience of AMD cards with rF2 and now using an Nvidia card, I would say Nvidia all the way.

4. Tom

Tom Registered

ATI or NVidia

Thanks for the quick responses, guys.

My system is an AMD Athlon 64 Quad Core @ 2.6g/4g memory/Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit with the ATI Radeon 5700....again, I'm on a budget but can get a new card and double the memory.

Thanks again

Tom

5. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Nvidia hands down. It's well known that Nvidia blows away AMD in rF2.

6. Tom

Tom Registered

We have a winner.....thanks again for the input, guys.

7. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Could you post results once its done? would be interesting to see the results.

8. Tom

Tom Registered

Unfortunately it looks like I won't be able to do it. The price of a card and new power supply were fine and I expected memory to be in the $50 range. Wrong! Two 4g sticks of DDR2 for my system were going to cost me over $180.00! Ain't doin' that.

Someone mentioned keeping what I've got but getting an SSD. Does anyone have experience or thoughts on that? Storage space is not a huge concern to me so I wouldn't need anything huge. Or, would just doubling the memory (4g to 8g) be of any value (worth the cost) to game play?

9. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

So why not go the the card alone then? 4gb ram aint that bad, lots of peeps use that and above it rf2 don't even fully utilize more ram if i'm not mistaken?

Memory prizes went up and down rapidly for years, not sure about now but I wont be surprised if it still the same so then it becomes a matter of getting it at the right time.

10. Tom

Tom Registered

Just a new card alone might be a worthwhile change. I could actually get more card than I first thought since I won't be spending any money on memory. Thanks for the thought!

Tom

11. fiveohmike

fiveohmike Registered

Just dont expect to SLI or use xFire.