ATI and NVIDIA updates

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by DurgeDriven, Dec 6, 2012.

1. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Did you do custom install coops

I go a bit further as even if you do not use certain features they still add folders to C:\ drive and I don't like that..............so I just get rid of them first.

1. Extract driver with winrar

2. Delete all folders except Display Driver, NV12 , PhysX

If you need audio or 3 screens.....................not my problem. lol

3. Install driver.

Not saying that would fix it, just neater ( less orphan folders on C ) never had a problem doing it this way ........... plus I hate self extracting archives. lol ;)

The folder list in NV drivers never stops growing ( that is if you had ever looked at a extracted nvidia driver........... most wouldn't have obviously )

-------

Even all my Mobo drivers are extracted and stripped with just the files they need to run the actual driver in device manager auto search and install.

Example Intel Management and Sata even some network setups can add console crap I do not need using EXEs but most do not have setup options and auto install everything but the kitchen sink.

So .....my drivers don't have those files in their archives, bit hard for them to install it........hey. lol

View attachment 14309

Why ? so I don't have to go find the consoles later, find the options and bs to disable them every time I do a fresh install or test OS.

That make any sense. lol

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2014
  2. Promag

Promag Registered

Just a thought, I always do a manual restore point, before I install my nvidia drivers. Save my butt a few times. :D

3. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

1) Download the newest version of Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) and extract it to your location of choice (I just extract it in a folder on my desktop). DDU seems to get updated often, sometimes even multiple times per week, so always check for the newest version

NOTE: If you don't use any additional GPU software (EVGA Precision, MSI Afterburner, Radeon Pro, etc.), more than one monitor, SLI/Crossfire, or 3D (particularly Nvidia 3D Vision) then skip to step 7.

2) If using multiple screens (independent, "eyefinity"/"surround", etc.), go back to single screen mode with the outer/remaining monitors disabled (done in NVidia Control Panel/AMD Catalyst Control Centre [CCC])

3) If using 3D, disable it (uncheck "enable stereoscopic 3D" in the Nvidia control panel, I'm not sure about other companies' 3D, I use Nvidia 3D Vision 2 :) )

4) If using SLI/Crossfire, disable it in the GPU control panel (NVidia Control Panel/AMD Catalyst Control Centre [CCC])

5) Set all overclocks, and such, in any additional GPU software installed (EVGA Precision, MSI Afterburner, Radeon Pro, etc.), back to default (should be a "default" button)

6) Use the free program Revo Uninstaller in it's most thorough/advanced mode to fully uninstall any additional GPU software (EVGA Precision, MSI Afterburner, Radeon Pro, etc.). Just the 3rd party stuff though; Original AMD/Nvidia drivers and control panels will removed in the next few steps below

7) Restart in safe mode

8 ) Use display driver uninstaller (DDU) in safe mode to uninstall your drivers. Always make sure you select to uninstall/clean everything you can from the brand you choose (eg. for Nvidia - PhysX, 3D, any audio stuff, everything), even if you think or know it wasn't installed. Also, always make sure to select the "Remove C:\AMD and or C:\NVIDIA folders" option. When you proceed with the driver cleaning, choose the option that DOES NOT restart/shut down the PC. Then click o.k./exit/close when it's done cleaning, DDU will close, open it back up, make sure everything is selected again, and this time make sure you choose the option that DOES restart the PC (or the option that fully shuts down the PC if you are going to physically be changing your GPU).

9) After restart, use the free program CCleaner's registry cleaner and delete/clean any AMD, NVidia or additional GPU software (EVGA Precision, MSI Afterburner, Radeon Pro, etc.) files it may find

10) Restart PC

11) Install AMD/NVidia drivers and always choose "custom" install and just install the minimum of what you need. The following is what I usually install/don't install:

A) For NVidia, I checkmark the following:
    - Graphics Driver
    - 3D Vision Controller Driver (for 3D, and possibly needed in order to use the amazing 2D Lightboost/strobing hack)
    - 3D Vision Driver (for 3D, and possibly needed in order to use the amazing 2D Lightboost/strobing hack)
    - PhysX System Software
    - Also, make sure to checkmark "Perform a clean installation" below

B ) For NVidia, I make sure the following are NOT checkmarked:
    - HD Audio Driver (or generally anything related to audio)
    - Miracast Virtual Audio (Allows rendering or streaming of graphics, video, and audio over WiFi to Miracast displays. Windows 8.1 and later) - no thanks
    - NVIDIA GeForce Experience (unfortunately you need to install this entire piece of bloatware if you want to use Shadow Play)

12) If you aren't prompted to restart at the end of installation, then restart anyways

NOTE: If you don't use any additional GPU software (EVGA Precision, MSI Afterburner, Radeon Pro, etc.), more than one monitor, SLI/Crossfire, or 3D, then skip to step 17.

13) Upon restart, install any other GPU software you wish (EVGA Precision, MSI Afterburner, Radeon Pro, etc.)

14) Restart

15) Setup SLI/Crossfire, and/or triple screens, and/or 3D (3D last)

16) Restart

17) Open up Windows Command Prompt with admin rights. It's called "Command Prompt (Admin)" - make sure your PC is in your gaming mode (any overclocks you use for gaming like CPU, GPU, etc.) - type "winsat formal -restart clean" (without the quotes) and press enter on your keyboard. Give it a few minutes to do it's thing. Once done, close the windows by typing "exit" (without the quotes).

18 ) Restart PC and PLAY! :)

NOTE:
    You probably don't need to do steps 2, 3, 4, 5, 14, and 16, it's probably OCD on my part, lol, but I do things as thoroughly and one-step at a time when it comes to this sort of stuff (drivers etc.).

NOTE: For ISI engine based game users (rFactor 2, Game Stock Car, rFactor, Formula Truck, GT Legends, GTR 2, Race 07, Raceroom Racing Experience, ARCA SimRacing, etc.) click "configure sim", or the configure program for the specific game, set all your settings, click OK. If my previous settings are still there then I choose a wrong resolution, press OK (window should close) then I open it again and set my desired settings. I do this so that the game sort of re-grabs my PC info.

Now go race! :)

P.S. I have never had an issue with a GPU driver installation/un-installation in my life. Not a single one going back 15 or so years with all sorts of hardware/software (AMD/Nvidia GPU, AMD/Intel CPU, Win XP/7/8.1, 1x/3x monitor, 1x/2x/3x GPU, 2D/3D).

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2014
  4. coops

coops Banned

tyvm spinelli

5. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

No prob, coops :)

6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

What are people's opinions on the new Nvidia drivers?

7. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson Registered

Had no problems so far with 344.11 but I always make sure I do a full un-install of the old driver.
    This is a great tool to make sure it's all done in safe mode. Display driver uninstaller.

8. tjc

tjc Registered

9. coops

coops Banned

will try that out to Gary tyvm

10. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

A few posts up (post # 122,) step 1 :)

11. coops

coops Banned

12. Andy Bonar

Andy Bonar Registered

I had to roll back to the previous driver.
    With this new nvidia one after coming out of 3 screens my taskbar win7 was in a different place and often locked up the PC at the same time

13. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Weird. I've had the taskbar issue the odd time here and there with quite a few Nvidia drivers, but never the lock up. Try waitinf a good 20 seconds or so

14. Andy Bonar

Andy Bonar Registered

Ive not had any issues before, I think Ill just leave it until the next one ;)

15. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Single screen fine for me.

16. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I've had that happen many times with like the past 5 drivers, it would just fix itself on it's own as soon as you run a full-screen program or change the resolution. I wouldn't not try the new drivers just because of that.

Oops, nvm, didn't realize you were the same person from post #131, lol.

17. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

No problem here at all (single screen) with GeForce Experience installed up and running (I use this stuff mainly for ShadowPlay and new drivers notifications/installation). FPS stay exactly the same from previous drivers version (I use a precise testcase in rF2).

18. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

19. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2014
  20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

NVIDIA GeForce v344.48 WHQL and EVGA PrecisionX 16 v5.2.3

NVIDIA GeForce v344.48 WHQL --> http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/geforce-344-48-whql-driver-released

[HR][/HR]
    EVGA PrecisionX 16 v5.2.3 --> http://www.evga.com/precision/

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2014