Are there any semi permanent cockitpits/wheel stands?

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by 007700887, Aug 31, 2014.

1. 007700887

007700887 Registered

Currently i have a G27 stuck to my computer desk and pedals under the desk, but i have issues with sliding pedals and steering wheel height so i would like to improve my stand.
    However, i use my computer for other games and work so it needs to be easily packed away/moved when I'm not using it.
    Im not averse to DIY but i have no ideas of what i could do!
    Any suggestions?

2. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

I had the same problem with my previous rig and my previous G25. I'm trying to find some old pictures. Mainly, I was able to remove my G25 and the shifter with a simple rotation of a rectangular piece of wood. It took less than a minute to put the wheel in front of me or to remove it. I had a small screw I can handle manually (with small "wings", don't know the name in English)

Ok, here the pictures of my old rig, really a quick and dirty DIY now that I see again those old pictures ;)

View attachment 14152
    View attachment 14153

3. Chefmark

Chefmark Registered

4. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

5. coops

coops Banned

check out ebay they have a lot for sale.. maybe something you like

6. Lgel

Lgel Registered

I own one for more than two years, I use it with a G27 and I am a very satisfied user. It is extremely well built and strong.
    You can't go wrong with it.

Cheers.

7. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Do you have some space next to the desk?
    I have a desk and on one head-end, the playseat begins. I connected it to the computer, with my screen on top of the playseat.
    I have another monitor just on my desk, wireless mouse and keyboard with it and when I'm done racing and want to work (yeah, right ;) ) I just hit "windows/P" and the screen goes to the desktop; I take my mouse and board with me and I work there.

Maybe that's an option?

8. Hectari

Hectari Registered

[​IMG]

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=playseat+challenge+review

I've had mine for about 3 months, it's great and really comfortable for long sessions. Before that I had my G25 clamped to my desk and my pedals pushed up against the wall and sometimes they'd rotate when using the clutch, just not very stable since they weren't fixed. My desk chair is on wheels, which was ok with the stock G25 pedals as I could just put something heavy behind the chair and it wouldn't budge since there wasn't much braking force needed anyway. Then I got the nixim brake mod and all that changed and I had to tie my seat to my desk to get full use of the braking force available but it was a bit unstable with me pushing hard on the brake and my chair wanting to move backwards and take the desk with it, only leaving my hands on the wheel to oppose the force, far from ideal! Everyone that has their wheel clamped to their desk probably has similar problems and issues to solve along the way.

One of the only drawbacks to the playseat is because of the way it's put together. If you want to sit more upright, you'll also have to sit higher up and the wheel will be higher up in front of you and also closer to you. Likewise if you want to sit lower or more leaned back then you're doing both too, in addition to the wheel being further from you and lower down as well. I bought it without really being able to tell if i'd be able to use it how I wanted which was basically to get it low enough that I could slide my wheelbase under my desk to get my wheel as close to my monitor as possible. Luckily I could and my wheel is a good bit closer to my monitor now than was possible with both on a desk. I leave just enough space for my fingers to clear the desk while turning with fingers on the paddle shifters. The laid back seating position is really nice, helped by the fact there are straps for lumbar and leg support which are surprisingly good for making the seat really comfortable. The wheel is at a good distance and height too. The only other thing I have to do is angle my monitor down at me since i'm a bit lower than it now.

The vertical movement in the wheel mount isn't an issue at all with ffb, not that i've noticed and since there is no lateral give it still feels great.

This leads me to the only real gripe I have with the playseat challenge. With the nixim mod you can brake fairly hard and when i'm approaching maximum braking the seat lifts up off it's front support(the bar the pedals attach to) and the pedals lift at the rear. I guess it happens since most of my weight is over the rear of the chair and there is nothing to stop it from flexing at this mid point due to the direction of my push on the pedals not actually pushing the pedals down on the floor. It's not a big deal, I can still use most of the brake throw and just set the max at about 85% of it's full potential and I know i've reached full braking if the chair starts to lift. I'm going to look at possible solutions, the final one being a strut to clip on to make it solid between the chair and pedal sections. I'll see where I get to with it but it's a great seat regardless and if anything i've become more consistent racing with it. It's also a bonus now that my screen doesn't shake about when i'm sawing away at the wheel, no danger of doing a 'Parisis'!(added vid at bottom in case you don't know the reference and haven't seen the video yet) When i'm done using it it takes hardly any time to stand it up and move it around the side of my desk to lean against it, I don't even unplug it from my pc and setting it up again is equally quick. It's nice to have the space under my desk for my feet again, since I always just kept my pedals, wheel and shifter down there when not in use. Thoroughly recommended.

If you're looking to get the chair without the gearshift mount it's cheapest here http://www.boysstuff.co.uk/gaming-chairs/playseat-challenge-simulator-racing-gaming-chair/

If you want the gearshift mount with it then you might as well buy it direct http://www.playseat.com/shop/eu/uk/playseat-challenge-seats/playseat-challenge-racing-seat-gearshift-support.html

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2014
  9. Zizza

Zizza Registered