Are ABS & Traction Control Driving Aids slowing me down?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stuboyle, Dec 17, 2023.

1. stuboyle

stuboyle Registered

I currently am running ABS & Traction Control on "Low" setting in Driver Aids but am wondering now if these settings are slowing me down. I'm running low 1:13's in qualifying and mid to high 1:13's in the Tatuus online races at Loch Drummond. The fast guys can turn 1:10's and 1:11's. I just don't see anything more I squeeze out of the car. I just turned the ABS and tractions control to "off" and I'm not any quicker but am less consistent. The car does feel more alive with these settings off. Ultimately, I'm guessing I will be quicker after some adjustment period. What are the fast guys running for ABS and traction control? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Stuart

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Fast guys will have TC off, and probably ABS off too.

ABS helps consistency and depending on the car/track can gain you a little time, if there are enough braking zones to offset the weight penalty.

TC helps consistency but will lose time for fast drivers.

If you're 2 seconds behind you're doing well. But I'd hazard a guess 1-1.5 of those come down purely to driving.

stuboyle likes this.
  3. stuboyle

stuboyle Registered

Well, I've done a couple stints with ABS and traction control off. There seems to be a lot more feedback with it off and car seems to "come alive". It rotates a lot better, which I guess you would expect. It's all in control of the rotation. My times are now similar to what I was doing with the driver helps on. Consistency is not quite there yet but it getting better. Overall, its a more enjoyable and rewarding. Just need to stick with it.
    Thanks!

atomed and Lazza like this.
  4. The_Bad_Fasterd

The_Bad_Fasterd Registered

It might not be wise to turn everything completely off.
    Depending on the state of the track you might want a bit of tc. Or if you need to save your tyres for a longer race, same goes for abs.

Also if you notice tyrewear after a long stint tc/abs can save you from binning it unexpectedly.

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yeah, I hate the feeling of TC, even in cars that have it onboard :D

We should be careful to separate cars like the GT3 where the onboard aids are part of driver management, and cars that don't have anything on board where game assists carry weight penalties and can dampen the experience, performance, or driver learning. I'd always advise to run with the game assists off unless staying on the track is proving too difficult.

6. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Sure would be beneficial if we could get some separation from the Menu Traction Control and the In-Car Traction Control. Perhaps renaming the menu item to Stability Aid....something that doesn't get confused with the in-car feature. Gamepad drivers really depend upon the menu feature more than the in-car. But reality types will appreciate the in-car Traction Control is a simulation of the real thing.
    (repeat the above argument for ABS as well)

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Easy solution: remove the game aids :D

8. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Gamepad drivers really depend upon the menu feature more than the in-car

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I was kinda joking, but you could put those (steering help etc) in the controller settings that only come up when you haven't selected wheel...

I just have a dislike for the aids that are on by default or easy to accidentally hit.

davehenrie likes this.
  10. The_Bad_Fasterd

The_Bad_Fasterd Registered

Yes you are absolutely right, I should have been more clear in my post and was talking about the “onboard tc/abs” features for the cars that use them in real life, like the GT3s.

Lazza likes this.
  11. Comante

Comante Registered

If you are just 2 seconds slower that top lapper on any combo, then you are doing good.
    2 seconds seems a huge lot of time, but in reality is just 0.3 seconds lost at each turn, that we can easily split in, braking, turning, accelerating. So, you are losing just 0,1 seconds at each step from people that have more training, better hardware, more skill than you.
    And the better thing is that you can still improve a lot, they hardly can go faster no matter what :D
    If you ask around, in RF2 your best friend is the brake pedal, everything related to braking is what make you faster. Brakes does not simply slow the car down, brake move the weight balance and allow you to load front tires to make turns, and lighten rear tires to make them more happily turn the car around. So, of all the aids, probably I would remove ABS, and learn proper technique, traction control can stay there for the moment.

12. stonec

stonec Registered

I am not a fan of how the competition system enables so many aids on the rookie level. I need to do hundreds of laps to properly evaluate the weight penalties, but the loss in straight line speed is basically zero from enabling any aid. I found out that much by comparing the delta time.

I was never a fan of TC and previous rF2 implementations of TC were not helping me with lap time much, but this might have changed when the TC algorithm got introduced to the car setup menu. ABS I think gives me more benefit by helping with consistency on corner entry. Every now and then I lock up the wheels at least slightly if I miss the braking point and ABS prevents that, which makes the car easier to control and is also saving you from flat spots.

If you want to improve as a driver, turn the aids off, but if you want to go for the ultimate lap time in the rookie series depending on the car, you may need to enable some of these aids.

pkelly likes this.
  13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think the aid hasn't changed, with the cars having the same parameters defining its implementation (basically, calculate a current grip figure and moderate maximum throttle based on it).

The onboard TC (and ABS) systems are separate, and more complex than their game aid counterparts.