Anyone up for doing some offline endurance racing- through the resume replay feature?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guy Moulton, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

It's tough getting people together for endurance racing and with timezones and personal schedule constraints some of us never get a chance to participate in endurance racing. But rF2 has this replay resume function- is anyone interested in being on a team racing against AI doing replay resume?

What we'd do is create an rfmod with the car classes we want and the tracks we want. I think in an rfmod you can only choose 1 race length, but we could make rfmods for diff race lengths. The AI can be trained easily enough and through a web site/forum we could track points like any online series. By booting the AI we don't want and keeping the AI we do want we can tailor the grid. One driver does his/her stint, emails the file to the next driver and so on back and forth until the race is done. If it takes a couple weeks, that's fine- it works around our schedules.

If anyone is interested, let me know in this thread, we'll make it happen!

2. datanode

datanode Registered

Sounds like a nice idea, isn't something lost in the replay resume? I can't remember what exactly. So I hope there is no issue :)

Just a vague recollection of someone mentioning an issue. Does anyone remember it or if that behaviour has changed?

3. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

You start with new, cold tires but since we'd switch off in the pit stop after changing tires, that is a non-issue.

Does damage reset too?

4. TMoney

TMoney Registered

Sounds interesting, but also sounds like you can keep restarting if you wrecked or had a bad race. Kind of takes the excitement out of it.

5. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

If someone wants to cheat in an offline game, I guess they could. Can't let the AI win....? yes, you could but why would you want to? What you say is true of ANY offline racing. Offline racing isn't as good as online racing for this very reason. Not a game breaker for me though.

6. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

What mod/cars?

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Sounds very GP2... of course back then we didn't have any other option ;)

8. Galaga

Galaga Banned

Guy, what on earth is wrong with you? Don't you know what a POS rf2 is and how nothing works? :p

Seriously, though, sounds like a great idea that would work, especially with open-minded types ;)

Not for me personally b/c I have different tastes in combos than most, but nevertheless it's always great to see people like you thinking of fun ways to use this amazing software we have. :)

9. Jamie Shorting

That's the biggest initial hurdle to get over on getting a group together. You'd be surprised though at how your tastes might change when racing with a good group.

10. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I was thinking for our car, we could use the either the URD mod (if you have it) or BES and that would be the GT mod. We could use both for a GTa and GTb class. Then throw in the Epol astra mod for a touring class, the 370Z for a lower Gt class then for LMP cars, use the Pescarolo. But I am pretty easy if the others have a class they prefer. There are some other LMP mods converted from rF1 that are terrible to drive, but may be fine for the AI to use as well.

11. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

The real prob is track selection. I am going through my installed tracks and it is appalling how many support fewer than 20 garage spots. I figure any track for this has to support 30 at very least. The ISI tracks support a lot of garage spots and here are the others I found:

Toban- over 100, Toronto 30, Orchard Park 47, Pukekohe 34, Essington 32, Jarama 35, Canberra 38, Sebring 30.

Some tracks are surprising and it is a huge prob- like LeMans & Bathurst. If you have less garage spots than drivers, then teams have to share pit boxes. In a 12H endurance race you are going to have to pit for damage at some point and if you are sharing a pit with another team, if the team you are sharing with has to repair damage for 5 mins and you are low on gas, YOU will run out, or double stack and lose heaps of time.

12. Jamie Shorting

Definitely sounds interesting and it looks like it's going to take some planning. I'm a huge fan of a one off test event to gauge interest etc.

13. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Bathurst?

14. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

and night lighting has to work. That narrows it down even more. There's one other guy my forum who's interested too, Jamie. We can either email each other back and forth or you can register at the forum in my sig and we can start our own sub-forum for this. Probably best to start with ISI tracks for this since garage count and lighting are important. Plus if we choose the BES mod, we can't discuss it much over here (and we have a tweaked version of the BES mod over my site too)

Yeah, Bathurst. it's OK but can't be discussed at this forum.

15. Galaga

Galaga Banned

dunno. i've raced with some amazing guys around here but i still lose interest quickly if things are not dangerous enough. it's the rally racer in me that has been suppressed too long :p

16. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

As for different tastes- all we really need to agree on is the mod WE want to drive. The LMP classes mods all suck to drive in rF2. But they will be fine as AI, so that's the P1 and P2 class. Then there's the ISI 370Z that would be a good lower class GT car. then add in the BES mod and the EGT mod and you have GTA and GTE or GTa and GTb- whatever. You'd just have to compare the lap times to see which is A and which is E. THAT would be a proper field of endurance cars.

Or take away the LMP cars and add in the Epol Ostra and run the GT cars as the top class ala the Bathurst 12 Hours.

17. Eddy

Eddy Registered

Could be a great idea and i'm up for it. But (and i not tested it recently) last time i tried picking the race up from some point in the replay, the AI drove like mad men crashing and bashing.....back then it was no fun at all.

So we first should test this point....not a huge problem though :cool:

18. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Brilliant idea... I'm not racing enough to participate, but this has potential.

19. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

OK Jamie, let's try a test run at Portugal then. Let's keep the mods simple. I can make up a rfmod with Essington (it supports 32), Silverstone, Portugal, Mills, LRP, & Loch Drummond.

-BES for the GT class (the URD mod is a pay mod and I don't know if you have it, if you do let's use that instead)

-the SCES mod for a P1 class

-370z

20. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

OK, if anyone is interested, go to this forum link and I have posted links to downloads for the mods we will use and we can organize it there. You don't have to be a member to see & post in this forum. I think. I changed permissions but you know how that is :confused: LOL