Anyone else NOT use HDR?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Synthbent, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Synthbent

Synthbent Registered

Yeah to me, these pics are a perfect example of why I don't like HDR. Everything looks way blown out and over-saturated. I used to have this little adapter for my xbox 360 that plugged into the back and let you use a HDMI cable on older units that only had composite / component input. The one negative point for all the reviews on this adapter was that it made everything look blown out, anything past the middle line of dark and bright would go double bright, and anything under would go double dark. That's what HDR reminds me of. I did drive with it for quite some time, and I will admit that under certain lighting conditions on certain tracks it can look quite breathtaking. I also agree with Denstjiro that it can be a bit annoying to have to find the right setting on each track. I guess its just the way I like things, hey we're all different right. Thanks for the opinions guys, I just wanted to see what peoples thoughts on this were.

2. Minibull

Minibull Member

What I can't get is that people expect to see every detail, when.looking into the sun. Details will become lost around you, as you are looking into a ridiculously bright light. You can't expect to stare at the sun but still be able to make out the numbers on the dials infant of you.

What I feel with no HDR is a total lack of contrast, the shadows look like they are from an overcast day, there is no direct sunlight hitting anything. Colours don't look bright enough, as when I go outside right now and look around in bright midday sun, colours are bloody saturated, white surfaces are blindingly bright when they pick up the sun.

3. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

This.

People should really get out more... No wait, we're sim racers. Scratch that. :p

4. Comante

Comante Registered

We are ingrained into looking for beauty, but real life, sometimes just look ugly. A simulator should reflect that, so, kudos for having people disappointed about light, it can mean that it's a good approximation.

5. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

True dat.

6. msportdan

msportdan Banned

Since the new drivers I've found hdr the better option. Just have to look at the other racers tyres. In hdr they look real and 3dimensional. Without they look kinda flat. Okay hdr does give it more vibrance than maybe the human eye would give. But if it makes it that little more enticing to look at a replay every now and then im all for it.

Sent from my RM-875_eu_euro1_260 using Tapatalk

7. speed1

speed1 Banned

I find the colors in rf2 little to excessive and not well balanced, somehow it looks in standard too cartoonish and for this reason, I have the saturation adjusted in the driver. The result-a much better and not too intrusive image. Some standard options such as contrast, brightness and saturation in the display settings would be desirable.

8. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

Always off for me.

It's unlikely that I will ever use it, through I do test it out every six months to see if things have gotten better.