Any QuickStart Guide anywhere for Newbees ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by zartc, Feb 12, 2013.

1. zartc

zartc Registered

Hi folks,

I bought rFactor 2 yesterday, and albeit I found my way down in downloading/installing everything required, I'm still a bit unease with the program handling and possibilities.

Is there a quick start guide anywhere that help a newbie understand the handling of this program ?

Among the question I have after few hours of trying is:
    1. How to start a training session (with IA opponents) vs a session or a race or whatever ?
    2. Why don't I see any opponents on the track (are they invisible) ?
    3. How can I see my progress (is there a best lap, best session anywhere to consult) ?
    4. Why do my car, the Clio, always drift like mad in turn, even at somewhat low speed (I think I can push harder on my own 206 IRL than on that simulated Clio !!) ?

My questions may seems low IQ, but my previous experience with car simulation is with the Dirt and Need For Speed: SHIFT and SHIFT 2 UNLEASHED series. So rFactor is kind of an alien for me right now. I really need some documentation to understand the philosophie of this program.

thank you all.

ZartC.

2. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

3. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/rfactor2-purchase/
    http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/rf2help/

Your specific issues:
    1. Select the car, track, add AI in race options. Click race.
    2. You are in a practice (only have practice tab selected in race options) and have that session set to private there.
    3. I would use a site like this for now: http://rf2.gplrank.info/
    4. Have you given time for both the tires to warm up, and for the track to rubber in?

4. JJStrack

JJStrack Registered

I think the answers for his questions are not there. So i try to give some answers here:
    1: In single plaer, go to "race settings". There you can choose if you want to run a practice, a qualifying and a race. Also you can adjust the number of "AI Drivers".
    2: make sure, that you set "private practice" and "private qualifying" in the "race settings" to "off". But still, the AI won't enter the track immediately in the practice and qualy sessions.
    3: when you are in the practice / qualy session, you can see it right on your monitor (best lap, laps driven, position etc.). While you are in the car, there is one LCD monitor which will show similar info to you. Just set some button in the settings - controls - display options to the "LCD mode" funtion.
    4: this is lift-off oversteer. your street car will not do that as much. but still, the speeds only seem to be slow. stating that RF2s physics are far off reality is just wrong. this is a good simulator, so everything you are experiencing with the physics is at least similar to reality.

Shift and Shift 2 are no simulations and are very far off from real driving-physics. If you want your simulation to be like that, RF2 will not be fun for you and you should ask for a refund. However if you want to have a simulation of real racing, you should try to understand RF2 and get used to the driving in it. it's totaly worth it!

EDIT: lol...Tim was faster than me

5. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

You were more informative anyway. :)

6. Minibull

Minibull Member

It is a very lightweight FF vehicle. There is not a huge amount of weight over the rear of the car, and requires a very different technique from a rear wheel drive car. I found it best to keep as much weight on the rear using the throttle, IMO it is like the Skippy, but not as harsh in its movements and responses. Lift off throttle can lift the weight off the rear and start it breaking loose.

In Race07 (WTCC cars) with the FF cars, I found it best to set the rear of the car to be a bit loose, and to just have a hint of slide through a corner with the front wheels powering and not doing a huge amount of steering. I don't mean wildy drifting through a corner, just a slight slide from them. Never had rear tyre troubles XD
    Some people will drive it with the wheels inline, on the edge of understeer and thats how they go quick. Figure out what works for you ai :)