Any chance for PBR update of historical Spa and Monaco?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gecco, Nov 8, 2021.

1. gecco

gecco Registered

I find the recently PBR updated tracks like Lime Rock, or also Sebring, quite visually stunning, and was wondering, if PBR updates for the historical tracks of Spa and Monaco are planned, or maybe part of a roadmap, at this point:)?
    Has anything been shared from S397 in this regard?

Rui Santos likes this.
  2. lagg

lagg Registered

gecco likes this.
  3. gecco

gecco Registered

Thanks, just read through it.
    Directly asked, if the historical tracks will be updated, S397 answered: "We don't know yet".
    Well, lets just wait and see then...hope dies last:confused:;)

4. vava74

vava74 Registered

S397 could, within the process of hiring the new staff, ask them to do a "demo presentation" consisting in doing the PBR's update of the old tracks... cheap and quick solution :-D

Alessio Feletto likes this.
  5. lagg

lagg Registered

Hiring people to work for free, stopped being legal in Europe a few years ago.

McKiernan, AMillward, Spyro and 2 others like this.
  6. vava74

vava74 Registered

It's not a hire, it's a selection process where work is done by a candidate for evaluation. And when I said it would be cheap, it means that they would be paid. If not, it would be "for free" and that is not what I wrote.

Mauro and lagg like this.
  7. lagg

lagg Registered

I don't know in other countries, but in Spain this wouldn't be legal.
    They couldn't use that content for a commercial use and the person who did the job would have the rights of that content.
    Bad bussiness for S397.

ApexModding likes this.
  8. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Finally, somebody who agrees with me that legalities can stop almost anything.

lagg likes this.
  9. vava74

vava74 Registered

Why on Earth? It's like any contractor's job, being that, apart from being paid (a moderate fee), the modder which showed better skills (and logically, better ability to productively interact with existing staff) would get a permanent job?

And, let's not forget, the applicants would be using nearly 100% S397 owned content, both 3D and textures, with minimal materials (if any) produced by the applicants.

This is "just" a PBR job, not a new track, being that, even if it was a new track, under a service contract, could include a provision whereby the IP would be transferred on payment.

10. lagg

lagg Registered

In that case, the modder should be selfemployed and sign a contract to do the work.
    This is different than an evaluation for hire an employee.
    If this were legal, a company could always be doing selection processes and selling that work without finally hiring workers.

Emery and ApexModding like this.
  11. vava74

vava74 Registered

Of course it would be a contract, but with an implied evaluation for a permanent position.
    And this would be after a first selection process. One track for each candidate. I think it would be a win-win proposition as the work would be done in cooperation and contact with S397 staff, so it could also have a learning/knowledge acquisition gain for the applicant.

12. vava74

vava74 Registered

And, before you start believing that I am some kind of modder-exploitation advocate, I have all S397 DLC (minus the RCCO) and, in 11 months of having bought rF2, I have already donated to modders -- in total -- about 3 times more than what I have paid S397 for rF2 and the DLC.

I did buy rF2 and the DLC always on sale, though :-D

13. lagg

lagg Registered

No, i don't think so. It's only a matter of legality.
    To do what you say, it would be better to do a contract limited to a specific project (the update of the circuit).
    In any case they'd have to hire (or outsource) and then, the worker do the job.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
  14. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Nah man. You just pay 'em in exposure and it's totally legal XD

15. vava74

vava74 Registered

Nope, because I know what I wrote and meant. And if you want, I can show you my PayPal account so you can see how much I have donated to modders to back my words.

16. lagg

lagg Registered

I don't understand the "exposure" term in this context, sorry.

Another thing is that i didn't want to create a conflict here.
    Every country has it's laws and the same thing can be legal in a country and the opposite in other.
    I don't think that @vava74 is telling that S397 should scam the modders to get the updates of the circuits.
    I understood that S397 could do a recruitment with the modders and use it for update the old circuits.
    And i said that this is not legal in Spain now. Some years ago it was legal.

pkelly and vava74 like this.
  17. vava74

vava74 Registered

Aidan is just pulling your chain... As that is something that was used in the past for internships: not pay for work and argue that by having their work published by a major player would raise the intern's profile and that this would be sufficient retribution.
    So, Aidan just went "there" to stir things up a bit :-D not because he believes it.

Remco Majoor and lagg like this.
  18. lagg

lagg Registered

OK, language barriers :oops:
    It's curious, this happens in the lawyers firms currently.
    I don't know other sectors in which happens this.

19. AMillward

AMillward Registered

it’s a common thing when people hire graphic designers or bands and will “pay them” through telling people how good they are because they’re too cheap to pay them or think that because they’re just designing a logo/playing a show they’re not doing a job.

Being paid in exposure usually translates to “working for free”. I’ve been in bands and known people in the graphic design world who have had this happen, or in the latter case, have stuff straight up ripped cos it’s “just a picture”

Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
    lagg likes this.
  20. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I don't think that his comment was that stupid. It's not unusual to have some kind of evaluation process when people apply for new jobs, even in European countries, wich can happen without being paid. And it's a misconception that people who work on something for a company are the rightsholder of the content that they work on and that they allways have to be paid. I am part of a modding team - wich is a juridical entity located in Germany - where my work is the property of the mod and the team, and not my own property, just as an example. And I don't get paid either. It just comes down to what people agree about and how contracts are set up.