animated water help please

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by PatientRF2fan, Apr 17, 2021.

1. PatientRF2fan

PatientRF2fan Registered

Hi everyone,

-searched forums and site dev guides
    -looked at the material break downs and fiddled with numerous approaches

-I am still having a challenge with this.
    -The site does not seem to have a section on water at all.

Sometimes works in simed the not in the game. Had it working once but it was referencing a directory from the track i got the info for.

What is the simplest way to get this working? Can i use one texture as long as it has the cycle animation to just get started on this? when it doesn't work it is harder to trouble shoot with the multiple channels?

Also there seems to be confusion on what G-motor shader to use. I do understand its a material that has a (refence-TO)

Any help would be appreciated, spent way to much time on this one :)

2. redapg

redapg Registered

If i remember it right, it was made with a few Water Textures, that are a bit different and set as a Cycle Texture Animation.
    You just have to play around with the Frequenzy to get it looking good.

3. Frederick Alonso

Frederick Alonso Registered

In 3dsmax they way it works is: texturename.dds then is loaded on a mesh. In the material specs animation is checked and I have to write down the dds name (see field animation data). I made a simple example if I would animate 6 frames. It's very important to have in this case 6 textures. texturename.dds, texturename00.dds, texturename01.dds, texturename02.dds, texturename03.dds, texturename04.dds, texturename05.dds it will then rotate them. So for the water it's probably a sequence of 3D water seen from above. You can repeat this on the IBL_standard material on (color slot, spec slot, bump and so on to have reflections animated as well) [​IMG]

4. PatientRF2fan

PatientRF2fan Registered

Thanks very much Frederick, very nice explanation.

5. PatientRF2fan

PatientRF2fan Registered

Hi frederick,

I managed to get a t1 to animate. I am very confused on what shaders to use. 3dsim ed shows water. bumprefspecmapto ???
    I have tried bump reflect spec map. I just cant see the waternorm texture under the top two layers

6. Frederick Alonso

Frederick Alonso Registered

Try with a basic IBL terrain shader, you can overwrite any shader and use json instead (material editor in browser). I explained it into detail here. https://www.patreon.com/posts/51082667 If you fire up your moddev track you can edit all materials or add a new shader to it.

7. PatientRF2fan

PatientRF2fan Registered

thanks so much. IBL PBR was a planned next voyage and your guide looks like just what i need. took forever to navigate and I am still using legacy. I look forward to your guide.

8. PatientRF2fan

PatientRF2fan Registered

I think I figured a big missing component. having a sandy gravel bottom to the water seems necessary.

Emery likes this.