Amd video driver install tip

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spinelli, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Figured I'd post this since the new 13.1 driver just came out......

unless you need it, when installing the driver, click custom, NOT express, then only select 3 things (4 total):

1. catalyst control centre
    2. sdk runtimes
    3. graphics driver (or video driver or whatever it's called, this is the driver itself)
    4. and the catalyst install manager will be greyed out and ticked no matter what

just those 4, you don't need that other bloatware crap, transcoding, drag n drop, smoothvision, hydra, etc etc

ALSO...

once rebooted after complete driver install don't forget, wether you are a single or a multi AMD GPU user, always download the latest CAPS. These are mini updates that AMD releases in-between full driver updates, and yes, contrary to popular belief, the CAPS do have updates/improvements for single card users as well.

2. hoser70

hoser70 Registered

What are CAPS and how/where do you download them? I typically don't like to update or "fix" anything that isn't broken.

3. dsuspense

dsuspense Registered

I have a ATI Radeon HD 6490M.
    I was able to install the 12.11 beta drivers with no issue.
    Now, with the 13.1 drivers, I only get items 2 and 4 in my listing.
    I am guessing it does not see my hardware as compatible with the driver.
    I may have to wait till 13.2 beta is out?

4. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

5. hoser70

hoser70 Registered

Ah, thanks Prodigy.

6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Yup you will see the caps same page as the regular drivers I believe.

7. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

You don't get item 3? That's pretty much the driver itself...

Did you download catalyst install manager 13.1? I believe it's like 150 to 200 ish mb program. Make sure you download that file, or just google AMD graphics drivers, then select your operating system, GPU series etc etc, it should then give you the driver to download. Download the full file, I believe it's called catalyst install or catalyst control suite or something. Then once you you begin the install process male sure you choose custom rather than express, then you should be able to select those things I mentioned. You might have different options based on your hardware though (mobile?????).

Make sure to fully uninstall the old drivers and any CAPS, reboot into safe mode, use driver sweeper to remove/clean all the remaining AMD display files leftover, reboot into normal windows, install new drivers as explained above, reboot, then if applicable install CAPS and reboot again.

The CAPS usually have fixes for the bigger mainstream games so the masses don't need to wait for the next full driver release for some improvements. They are like mini driver updates, in-between full driver updates.

Let me know if that helps ya.

8. dsuspense

dsuspense Registered

With the 12.11 drivers, my card (a AMD Mobility Radeon HD 6490M) is listed as a AMD Mobility Radeon HD 7400M series.
    The 12.11 release notes listed support for AMD Mobility Radeon HD 6000M and AMD Mobility Radeon HD 7000M Series.
    The 13.1 release notes list AMD Mobility Radeon 6300M, 6800M, 6900M and 7000M series as mobile chipsets supported.

I made sure to completely clean the file system and registry of any old drivers before installing 13.1.
    I noticed in the install it said something about "detecting hardware", so I am guessing it sees my hardware, but flags it as not compatible mobility series, which is why the driver never shows up as an option to install.
    The install file is 149,984Mb, so I know I downloaded the right driver.

I will hold off till 13.2 beta is available and see if it works, otherwise I am thinking 12.11 is the last driver supporting my video card.

9. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

You can download 13.2 here (but it seems it only supports series 5000, 6000, 7000, not sure if any Mobility series is supported):
    http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/amd_catalyst_13_2_beta_download.html

But it comes with a warning:
    "THE LEAKED BETA 13.2 IS AN UNFINISHED DRIVER SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED TO TEST FRAME LATENCY, WITH NO FINAL QA COMPLETED ON ANYTHING ELSE IN THE DRIVER. PLUS OTHER GOODIES INTENDED FOR THE REAL 13.2 ARE MISSING. DO NOT INSTALL IT IF YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND THE CONCEPT BETA."