Am i missing out ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OzzyNeil, Jul 11, 2012.

1. OzzyNeil

OzzyNeil Registered

Yo dudes, Are there any T500 RS users out there who were previously using G25's.

I've been rootin' around for days with my G25 trying to quieten the thing down and still keep nice FFB feel and it just aint happening.

Tried all the solutions in other threads as well.

I would like a CSW but i don't think Perth WA will be seeing any for a while, and I got no idea how much they're going to slug us for it.

I can get hold of the T500 RS for $699 from Pagnian imports, includes shipping, is that about the right price?

Cheers, Neil

2. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Well I don't have a T500 but I went from a G27 to a Fanatec wheel.... Yes, you are missing out lol :)

The difference between the G27 and a belt-drive Fanatec is amazing. No more rattles. No more feeling like your wheel is going break every time you run over a curb or go off track. It's all just smooth FFB and you feel everything.

3. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

I wonder how much of the reason why the G25/27 rattle more than the Fanatecs is due to the Fanatecs being very slow to move and respond in comparison (not counting the CSR-E or CSW)... The belt system is obviously quieter anyway, but the Logis are still at the top when it comes to response times and direction changes, though their max speed and acceleration aren't a match for the T500 RS or the high end Fanatecs. The lower end Fanatec wheels (Porsche wheels and CSR) should ideally behave very much like the G25/27 when hitting the kerbs, just be quieter, otherwise I'd be prone to suspect they can't cope with the amount of information being sent to them.

4. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

I think it's more than just quieter. The rattle on the Logi was so strong, I wasn't "feeling" the curbs, it was just a JOLT and a RATTLE and it was so strong, I would immediately hit esc to stop it.

The Fantaec you actually feel everything. I'm noticing small things in the FFB I never felt with the G27. It's like the game is alive now.

You say my Fanatec is slower in response times and direction... maybe a bit.... but the FFB is so much better, the small trade off is worth it.

5. daWave

daWave Registered

I went from G27 to T500RS about 1 week ago and it was worth every cent for me. I got it for 400€ @ amazon. I'm already using the ClubSportPedals so i never touched the pedals that came with the Thrustmaster, still worth the price imho.

The G27 rattling was so extreme sometimes that i was really afraid of even slightly touching any curbs or gras, some kind of curb-phobia raised inside my brain, really, and i hated it so much that i decided to get myself the T500RS.

It really is a completely new driving-experience, you really can feel everything, and really smooth now... best buy for rF2 for me.

The $699 seems a bit too high, dont know if there is any cheaper way for you to get tho.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2012
  6. Jos

Jos Registered

the t500 seems to have a really large dm rim, thats seems a bit to big for the historic f1's...

7. Cleverleyson

Cleverleyson Registered

the 500 is loud its fan is an ass...... but the ffb is good and you can't hear the wheel turn I have found!

this video will really help you and if i recall he has rfactor at the end..... :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2012
  8. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

My G27 have no rattles after changing the "Steering torque filter="0" to 28 in controller settings. To keep the FFB strong I increased overall strengh in Logitech Profiler AND ingame.

9. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Can you explain this? Are you talking about frequency the wheel is able to handle?

10. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

For Xmas I got a t500 rs to replace my g25 and CSP's. The CSP's failed after 1 year of use so I'm now using the t500 pedals.

The ffb is fantastic and the pedals are better than the CSP's. It was a great purchase. I got mine on sale for $450us. In the 60's WCR mod the wheel is SUBLIME!

11. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

From the measurements I've seen the Fanatec wheels have a lower acceleration, lower top speed, take longer to start moving after the program sends an FFB signal and take longer to change direction. From the test data (WheelCheck.exe by some iRacing dev, available for iRacing members on their forums) I have at hand the G25 (my G25 actually) starts moving 10 ms after the signal is sent, and the GT3 RS V2.0 (from the WheelCheck archives) starts moving 20 ms after the signal is sent. When changing directions (at top speed mind you) my G25 takes 40 ms to slow down and stop and 46 ms to start moving in the other direction, the GT3 RS V2.0 takes 90 ms to slow down and stop, and a 100 ms to start moving in the other direction. Looking at the top speeds they achieve in the test the G25 seems to be about 10% faster at most, and also gets there faster. This could be taken as suggesting that the Fanatecs simply can't move as fast as the G25 can, and can't physically achieve the "rattle".

I'll admit that nothing I've said is conclusive and I'll also note that the GT3 RS V2.0 in the archive seems to have been tested with old drivers because it only refreshed itself at 100 MHz, giving at best an accuracy and minimum latency of 10 ms, compared to the G25 running at 500 MHz, giving an accuracy and minimum latency of 2 ms. I understand that the newer firmware and driver updates upped the Fanatecs to 500 MHz also, so if someone has a GT3 RS V2.0, GT2 or a base CSR and wants to help me get more accurate and up to date data, I'm sure we could come up with something. Hit me with a PM if you want to help.

12. 4L0M

4L0M Registered

That's exactly what i did too. Feels ok to me. I've only owned a G27 for about two weeks though, so i'm still trying to get to grips with it.

13. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Yes, the new firmware set the wheels at 500 MHz. Unfortunately, the link to the new beta firmware (at the 911 blog) has expired lol :)

I would love to help though. If they refresh the link or release a new version, I'm there.

14. OzzyNeil

OzzyNeil Registered

Thx for all the info everyone, im sold...

found a good deal from ItsDirect in Brisbane T500rs + TH8 shifter for $800 inc shipping.

Its incredible i cant find one store in Perth that has them.

WAComputers has the ferrari wheel package but i would rather the normal wheel.

Anyway thx again

15. cookie

cookie Registered

16. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I wonder how the fanetec would come out if retested with A. the new 500hz firmware, and B. using the csr non elite wheel which is pretty much a gt3rs/gt2 wheel but one that according to most people is faster and more quick to respond than the gt3rs/gt2, it also supposedly fixes the overheating problem the gt3rs and gt2 had but that's another story for a different day lol

17. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

I'd be very interested to see that as well. I've already gotten in touch with someone who has the GT3 RS V2.0 for measurements, though since the firmware links are down at the moment he hasn't updated beyond 681 yet, so I only got 100 MHz results from him. I did find a mirror for the new firmware on a Forza forum and have linked that to him, waiting to hear back.

If anyone here has a basic CSR, please get in touch with me.

EDIT: Got results from a GT3 RS v2.0 with the new 742 firmware, and there were barely any changes when it comes to performance. First move latency was lowered by about 4 ms to 23 ms (could well be just due to higher sampling rate rather than actual response improvement) and behavior during direction changes were unaffected. Resistance seems to have gone down though, because the wheel kept freewheeling for longer after the forces were cut off. Here's a graph of the same wheel with both 681 and 742 firmware, along with a different GT3 RS v2.0 from the archives and my own G25 at both 100% and 107% overall force. All were tested at 900 degrees, 100% overall power (apart from the 107% G25 naturally), 0 spring effect and 0 damper effect, no centering spring, no drift mode etc.. The only question mark is the archive wheel, I'm not a 100% sure of the settings on that but from what I've read I assume it was also tested with these settings. The archive wheel has a slightly faster response time and faster top speed than the other GT3 RS v2.0, don't know if this is due to wear and tear or perhaps manufacturing variances.

[​IMG]

Right-click -> open image for full-size.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2012
  18. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

I've got the firmware. For some reason it's not letting me put it up in the attachments.

19. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I read some test results somewhere the other day and it said the the G25 was even either quicker or faster to respond the the G27, any tests comparing the 2 with regards to response, direction change, acceleration and top speed?...