Alternate shift up and down keys

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by green serpent, Mar 3, 2023.

1. green serpent

green serpent Registered

Probably been mentioned before... I have to keep remapping the shift up and shift down keys whenever I switch between paddle shift and sequential style transmission. Would be good if I could map alt shift keys. Can this be done now and I'm just missing something?

Cheers

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The ones on the right perhaps? :D

upload_2023-3-3_20-59-1.png

atomed likes this.
  3. The_Bad_Fasterd

The_Bad_Fasterd Registered

I make profiles in the “Calibrate controls” menu for when I switch between different wheelrims. These profile contain different buttonmapping, shifters and per car FFB multiplyer.

Not alternative controls but also gets the job done.

green serpent, davehenrie and atomed like this.
  4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I've got about 5 profiles now, all start with the same base profile, then I customize for P2P, DRS, BTCC Hybrid, the Chaparral Wing and my Logitech 6 gear h-pattern shifter. Just load up whichever profile suits the car.

green serpent likes this.
  5. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

But how come there is no alternate clutch?

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Same reason there's no alternate gears? Maybe? :p

7. green serpent

green serpent Registered

That was not there before hahaha!

Lazza likes this.
  8. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Guest

would make absolutely sense if you have a classic clutch pedal and a clutch on the steering wheel

9. Javibeza

Javibeza Registered

All those "Alt" assignments need to be removed, as I said in other thread the best improvement tob controls would be:

- Allow repeated assignments, so one button can serve more than one function. Remove prohibition, substitute with a warning. (Button 1 does two things at once)
    - Allow combos in assignments, so we can use one button as an "alt switch" to make other buttons serve a different purpose. (Button1+button2 to do something)
    - Allow multiple assignments to one function and remove "alt throttle... Etc" extra list. So we can set more than one button/combo for each control. (Button 1 to clutch, button 2 also to clutch).

This is Elite Dangerous (and other sims) style of control assignments and I miss all its advantages.

10. Martin Vindis

Martin Vindis Registered

There is always that one game that won't cooperate. I recommend you to use JoyToKey, Xpadder or somthing similar as a workaround, it will work globally and therefor for every game.

Additionally you can have different functions bound to one key by single press, double press, long press etc.

11. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

You can have 2 functions assigned to the same button. You just have to edit the controls.json and copy the assignment from one key to another.
    For example, I have P2P and Temporary Boost assigned to the same button on my steering wheel. If I'm in a car that uses P2P and press the button, it activates P2P and if I'm in a car that has adjustable boost, I can press the button and it will activate the highest boost setting. I don't know what would happen, if I tried to use it in a car that has both P2P and Temp Boost.

12. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

One example is the Chaparral clone in the 1967 Endurance mod. rF2 won't accept two commands tied to the same button AT THE SAME TIME. You can use the same button for different cars like you have if the trigger button is assigned to the same. I just create new Steering wheel profiles each time a new feature is added.
    But back to the Chaparral, both the rear wing and a hidden front flap(down below the & behind the front axle) must operate together so the car remains balanced. So you assign the rear flap(wing) in the game and save the profile, then you have to edit the profile in windows with a txt editor and duplicate for the front flap what the rear flap has listed.
    I used the find command to find the rear flap, copy the text and then find the front flap, they are separated by about a screen's worth of lines.
    "Control - Rear Flap":[
    ],
    I then copy that for the front flap. That allows BOTH flaps to move at the same time with just one input.
    "Control - Front Flap":[
    ],

13. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

That's interesting so I'd get both P2P and Temp Boost at the same time if a car had both available. Not sure that would be a good thing. :)

davehenrie likes this.