Allow users to join a server with partial car ownership.

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by yinlad, Nov 7, 2022.

1. yinlad

yinlad Registered

I think this is a key issue, now more than ever as content is rolled out at such an impressive rate. Particularly with the likes of the competition system and LFM coming into play. As someone that is just getting back into rF2 after years away (I think more people will be in this category due to the excellent work being put into the sim), I find myself needing to buy a lot of tracks/cars to be able to compete in any of the above to a meaningful degree.

Being able to buy this content piecemeal as and when you want to drive it / justify spending the money is a more attractive proposition (particularly to users either new to rF2 or coming back to it) than having to basically buy all the DLC for a given 'genre' of racing whether it be BTCC or multiclass endurance, just to be able to get started.

I think it's fair to say that almost every other sim on the market allows this so it's frustrating to want to get back into rF2 but find myself debating if I really want to buy a big chunk of DLC most of which I won't ever use but require just to race against.

2. McFlex

McFlex Registered

Have you ever thought about what will happen to the single item prices if S397 would change the system so that you can join a server with partial car ownership? Do you really think the prices will stay the same? :D

Now a car costs 5€ which is quiet low compared to other sims out there. Expect the price to go up to 10€-15€ per car like they cost in sims that support partial car ownership ;)

3. yinlad

yinlad Registered

A pretty short sighted view of things. There's no reason to raise the prices due to this change. I'm fairly sure they don't set prices based on the fact you need to own them all to join a server.

Even if for some odd reason that was the case I'd still gladly pay 10 for 1 car than 20 for 4, 3 of which I don't plan on using.

Anyway this is a wishlist forum, not sure why you feel the need to gatekeep that

4. Bernat

Bernat Registered

No, it's no short sighted. Games using that model use other income models too. So it's in fact very accurate.

One reason to gatekeep that it's that we like the current model, and we want to own all the cars. If you just want to buy one car and play online like everybody else there are other games that allow it. Only problem is they're actually more expensive or they're not so good, and you probably don't want to play them for those reasons. Think about that.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2022
  5. yinlad

yinlad Registered

If I make this 'wish' to keep the pricing model but still allow it are you satisfied?

I'm glad you can speak for every player in the player base and also to the intent of the developers and their pricing model so accurately

I'm presenting a suggestion in the 'wish list' forum to the developers as a newcomer, I'll leave it with them to do with as they see best. Frankly I don't see why you feel the need to comment at all!

6. Woodee

Woodee Registered

The OP is right.... they should be allowed to wish without the need for others to hypothesise how bad this could be.

Leave it up to the dev team to find how popular the wish is and whether is possible to implement.

yinlad likes this.
  7. Stevy

Stevy Registered

I understand the dissatisfaction this system brings to new player who want to get "big" (drive the fancy and new stuff).
    And I don't start with "but that's how rf2 works and to change that they would need rewirte almost all of rf2".

If we just look at the pure value I think rf2 is quite "cheap"
    ~30€ for 2 cars plus 4 (laser scanned) tracks
    Tell me how much you get on iRacing for ~30€ (don't forget VAT for non US guys)
    Yes iRacing is the extrem end, I know.

What we can discuss about is if it's alright to sell single items if everyone knows that this will cause trouble, especially the "pack" stuff (GT3s, GTEs, LMP2s, FE, etc.)

8. DanRZ

DanRZ Registered

To base a game only on popularity is not so good and probably a bad choice i think.

Popularity is what differrentiates a random tasteless soup from an enjoyable gastronomic unique meal.

A good game must have a "line of conduct" and stay there. Moddable, low price, highly precise physics ... That's what most rF2 users want, not a popular game with casual gamers ...

Popularity is what can ruin a game.

If developers adapt too much based on popularity, they will probably break their line of conduct at some point and kill the game.

That's what we call "independant games", and i hope rF2 will stay independant and not favorize popularity and gains.

My 2 cents ...

Bernat likes this.
  9. yinlad

yinlad Registered

I don't see that what I've suggested changes any of that. But not doing it makes the game less and less accessible as the content grows over time making the barrier to entry larger every time a new car is released into a class.

It doesn't really make a difference to existing, long term players who have accumulated everything as/when it came out. But even at a reasonable cost, which everything is, having to buy it all at once just to get started isn't that accessible.

If you think that the Devs aren't looking to, or interested in growing the player base and therefore revenue, you're being disingenuous

10. Bernat

Bernat Registered

I think we can all share our thoughts. I don't see the point in starting a debate though so I won't reply anymore.

Completely agree with @DanRZ. It's very common between casual users to want all sims to be and look the same.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2022
    DanRZ likes this.
  11. yinlad

yinlad Registered

Uh oh..... What are we going to do now.

Happy to see this change finally coming to rf2