All settings and files back like it was freshly installed, when not supposed to

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by ifrans, May 28, 2013.

1. ifrans

ifrans Registered

I had a real strange problem yesterday. I had a complete clean install of build 218 when it came out, only re-used the Appdata folder, had everything set to my linking again, steering wheel, graphical settings, installed the mods I needed etc. Have been skinning on a Marussia and made a directory where I put in my skins to look at them in game, had raced online on servers with it, so everything worked.
    Strangely enough, yesterday when I joined a server online, all my settings were back to default, like I just installed the game. I had to set everything again. Also on the server which only allows autoclutch, every help like traction control etc worked online.
    All the directories the mod manager made, are still present. But the directory of the Marussia with the skins, was also gone. I raced on Sunday with the Marussia on Sebring, and had put there my setups, hdr profile etc. Also gone. The folder of Sebring is still there, but the content in it has dissapeard.
    I’m absolutely sure that I didn’t change files myself or did a clean install. The only thing I can think of this is some sort of bug. If this will happen again I will post it for sure.
    Did someone else had this problem before? Is there perhaps a way to check on my computer what happened? I have a closed timeframe when it happened, Sunday evening till Monday afternoon, when I discovered it when joining online. I think it happened at the moment I joined the server, because on Monday afternoon I have looked at my skin in game.

2. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

I don't know if this applies to your problem but recently I uninstalled rf2 , deleted left over folders and reinstalled. I still had stuff showing up that was installed previously. The only way I could sort it out was to make sure I did a Windows Restart before reinstalling.

3. Tosch

Tosch Registered

4. ifrans

ifrans Registered

Thanks for your answer, well I don't think that was the problem, as I manually deleted every map that was still left, and when I did a fresh install (I didn't restarted my computer), I didn't had any old content still installed, like you experienced. If the problem happends again I will try what you say.

5. ifrans

ifrans Registered

Thanks Tosch for your tip. Only knew about system restore with back-up points, if I read your link quickly with my little knowledge of computers, I think I read that I should still be able to restore those files, if I find out how to find the files the Shadow-Copy made. That would be a good solution to get every file back in the right place. As I also have those files on a seperate location on my computer it wouldn't be a problem for me to get those files again back in place, lucky enough I still had the old backup of the setups etc when I made a fresh install.
    I only hope that it doesn't happen again, because if this happends right before a online race this is not very handy, or lost files because of it. But I save the link you just showed me, can be real handy in the future to look into.

6. ifrans

ifrans Registered

It just happend again. I made a new directory for the Corsa Cup this time, put my skins in it, went online and a difference this time was that it loaded up the older version of the Corsa Cup, but was able to drive it with the skins. Went back to offline player to change some settings, went back to online and everything was again reset, and the skins didn't show up anymore, but it did load the correct car this time, the newer version. But if I look now in the userdata/player/settings everything is gone, except for Croft which was the track I was driving on. If I look in the modmanager everthing is installed, and also in the directory "installed"

I will re-install this build again to see if that helps, but it's really strange behaviour from the game, without a clear answer why or how. Never had significant problems with the game, let's hope a new re-install will help, but it remains strange that this can happen.

Another thing I noticed, that I no longer can see my replays if I don't have the virtual mod installed that I needed to go on a server. Perhaps this was something that alwas has been the case, but never noticed it before. It does make the replay option as something I can't use anymore, as I'm not gonna keep every virtual mod installed just to see a replay.

But I notices this also just yesterday, so let's hope that's also fixed with a fresh install again. I will post how it goes.