All of the sudden, shadows start flickering big time.....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Navigator, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Hi guys,

I installed W7 x64 on my system all over, installed the game, that went fine and now, all of the sudden, when I set my shadows "max".....I get very bad flickering.

Never noticed before but most of the time, I had them set to "medium".
    When I do that now, there are of course a lot less shadows and I don't notice that much, but it still isn't gone.

It's really bad, see the movie (8sec) I made: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/13313246/IMG_2386.MOV

Now; is this an issue that plays, do more of you have this or is it my system?

2. Navigator

Navigator Registered

No ideas? :) Me neither.....

But I fixed it by installing the game all over; PLR file did nothing for me.

Now tonight, I had the same issue again; game loaded pretty fast and I got a lot more fps (about 20 to 30 more) and the flickering was there again.
    Now I was able to fix it with the PLR file removal.

There are three things I did before that; raced online, defragged my HD and did a registry clean with CC cleaner. Don't ask me why I do that two days in a row ;) (Lot of update's and so on)
    But after that, I got this problem again.

When it is fixed, I saw that both times; I lost 5 fps but the game runs okay.......that means; 5 fps compared to normal, no flickering and same settings.

Where to look for?

3. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Could be video card drivers. Have you tried other versions? Of course that is just one of many possibility.

I've been using "Max" since the 118 update. I've seen several posts claiming that they got better frames at high or max.

The newer release tracks also have different results with shadows and billboards.

4. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Thanks for your reply. I did change the driver however and still the same.

Now I got it again; after going online and not the other two things I did yesterday and the day before (why does this sound like a Beatles song?)

I saved the "good" .PLR file and put it back in; that works!
    Last night; I tried to force it by going online, but that didn't work back then; now it did.
    When I came back offline; I had to change the mod I was driving with but had that last night too......so that can't be it I suppose.

I did save both .PLR files now and now I'm going to have a look what's different there......

I post it here.

5. Navigator

Navigator Registered

That's funny; I can't find anything different on the .PLR file!
    That can't be right in my opinion......

Don't know, I keep diggin'

6. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

OK Wim, I've just watched your video........ IT'S UPSIDE DOWN M8!!! There is your problem, you installed the Aussie version of Windows7 :D.
    I get flickering but not saw it as bad as that for a few builds now. Maybe see if you still get it if you under clock your graphics card a bit just to test? What I do get in the new build sometimes is flickering blue colour flashing in my virtual mirrors. odd.

7. Navigator

Navigator Registered

You get the movie upside down? :)
    You're absolutely sure your screen is in the right position in front of you? ;)

Haha, I get the movie correct here.

Okay, underclocking vga; I'll do that when I get the problem again and test it out, thanks for the tip!!

8. kro388th

kro388th Registered

lol the movie is upsidedown for me as well ..
    heh , for me the flickering was ther in the 107 build but alot less in this 118 build ,they are still ther but it now almost looks like a speed sensation effect when driving through the shadows from say trees and sutch but that all goes away when the car is stoped and i still see the slight flicker .. again its alot better this build for me ..
    I have my shadows on high not max ..

9. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Nav, did the overclocking definitely cause this?

10. Navigator

Navigator Registered

I just encountered the problem again and now it's every time I go online and go back off.
    Underclocking the via does not help sadly.

What I notice, is when I go offline, the problem occurs (after having played online before as I said) but when I go online again; I have the problem there too.

I looked at the plr file again, now saved it coming out of online play and didn't step into offline first.
    The only thing different I fount was this line: Lookahead Angle="0.20000" // Angle to lookahead (yaw) w/ steering in radians (= degrees / 57)

The value shows 0,20000 in the "bad" .PLR while the good one, shows 0,10000

I changed the value, but that doesn't work out; still having the problem then.

Setting shadows low, med, high or max, doesn't change a thing; just less shadows to flicker, but it is there.

BTW; I underclocked my vga for this; I had it running stock till then, never oc't

11. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Ok, thanks for the reply.

12. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Okay guys, I finally figured it out :)

Maybe someone has the same problem and has use to this.

When I drive offline (practice), I don't use mirrors, online I do.
    Now with the 60's; you don't get mirrors on the car, which makes pushing the "3" key not making a change in the setting for one in the cycle; it switches the onboard mirrors on but since they don't work; you see nothing.

BUT; when you put the onboard mirrors on, it takes up some fps, even if they don't work, making further action on the button, not consuming even more fps.
    I figured out that default, the button is in the "onboard ON" setting (well, it is on mine) and that works okay......shutting the mirrors actually off; makes the shadows flicker (not all the time as bad).

So, setting the mirrors really off or just onboard (they stay black) makes a difference in fps and shadow behavior!

As I said; it's not always evenly bad, but a sure thing is the first straight coming out of the pits at Monaco, near the end; look at the shadows of the tree's and the tree's themselves; they flicker.
    Stop underneath and play with the mirror settings; you'll see them "come to rest".

Somehow, having played online, altered this setting for me.
    Now I know; it's no problem of course though it would be nice to have use of the extra fps from having no mirrors and no flickering of course.