AIW must exist before a track can be loaded?

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Simon Peace, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Simon Peace

Simon Peace Registered

What is the absolute minimum content for an AIW file... I would like a clean starting point and I am having trouble moving my car onto the track. also when i did get it there (once and haven't been able to repeat) it just wheelspan and didn't go anywhere.

Any ideas?

2. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

I dont know, but I found out that if you leave .AIW file out, rF2 generates "default" one but I don't what it contains. Tracks load well without proper AIW.

3. Simon Peace

Simon Peace Registered

I dont get such luxury of an AIW File being generated for me... god i wish i did. How do you do that?

4. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

I don't think he did - I think he did what I did. What I did to make a track like that was to make a copy of Joesville and start from there. Remove all but the starting tarmac on the track, put your own track in, drive from what remains of Joesville to the new track and then use the tools to place a new start/pit/garage position so you'll always start on yours and remove the last piece of Joesville.

You're slipping, incidentally, most likely because you've not set your track surface material name to something that corresponds to the TDF file so it has no friction at all. Rename the road material road<letter> (making sure you've named the right part of the material) and it'll act like a road surface.

5. Heracross

Heracross Registered

Not sure if it helps you but In the old aiw-editor in rf1 you could pause the game and then move the car with some keys. I think in the keypad and hold ctrl but I'm not sure anymore. So if the car is in a bad spot you can move it without the physics working against you.

For the name-change of materials you don't have to do that i thought. You can also change or add material names in the tdf. Like: Materials=roada,roadb,rdaxroa > you could add your material name to the effect you want or make your own new [Feedback].

6. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

You have probably named your road material wrong. For realroad, material should be named as "RaceSurface_xxx". Looks like in rF2 "unknown" material has no friction at all...

If no AIW is present, sim will place you in coords 0,0,0. Make sure you have some road under those coords.

7. freew67

freew67 Registered

To move your car in the aiw editor:

Hold Left CTRL + Left Shift + Arrow Keys This will move the car but slowly.

Hold Left CTRL + Left Shift + Left Alt + Arrow Keys This will move the car like they stole it.

8. Michael Juliano

Michael Juliano Track Team

You can load a track in Mod Dev without an AIW--you'll get placed at world 0,0,0 when you click "race" so make sure there's something there to catch you. You can then start making an AIW and save from there...

edit: what JKA said ;)

9. lasercutter

lasercutter Registered

didn't think material name mattered with realroad, just that the instance should be called racesurface and the gmt set as deformable?

10. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Uh, oh... Yes, you're right... ;)

Material names must meet TDF - definitions and instance name in scene should start "RaceSurface_xxx".

Sorry about confusion.

Cheers!