AIW Fastest Path Question

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Surrexen, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Surrexen

Surrexen Registered

Hi guys,

I have read some conflicting things about the fastest path in AIW for a circuit. Some say it doesn't matter what speed you go when you record the fastest path, others say it does matter. So my questions are:

1. Is it better to record the fastest path going 'absolutely flat out', or to just make sure the fastest path 'line' is 'smooth'
    2. Does running curbs mess the job up or is running curbs 'ok'
    3. Do you have to set the AI skill to 100% exactly when you do the recording? ie. does it mess things up if you do the fastest path on a higher or lower setting?
    4. Does it matter which vehicle you use to record the path? (just thinking about different cars, different widths etc).
    5. Does it matter if you use a custom setup? Or are you best off using the vehicles default setup for AIW purposes

Thanks in advance!

2. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

1. If you can drive 'abolutely flat out' without taking risks or taking erratic lines (drifting, lots of opposite lock, ...), then yes, go absolutely flat out :) . Get into a nice, smooth, fast rhythm. The fast laptime will automatically be a result of the fast, smooth rhythm.
    2. Same as 1; if you can ride the curb smoothly and feel in total control, sure. Jumping over curbs and being forced to make serious corrections would be considered as erratic driving.
    3. Not as far as I know. You do the recording, not the AI :) .
    4. I would go for something with a neutral drivability. A 1 million horse power drift monster is only going to produce erratic lines. On the other hand, a car that cannot take corners without understeering off into a tree will not allow you to get into that smooth rhythm.
    5. AI setup should be drivable, i.e. allow the AI to complete a lap. You should use a drivable setup yourself, something you feel you could use on any normal track.

http://downloads.imagespaceinc.com/rf2/modsresources/rF2_AIW_Creation_Tutorial.pdf -- "The best way to create the fastest path is to drive it as if you were actually racing the track, trying to set the fastest time possible with the cleanest driving."

3. Surrexen

Surrexen Registered

To clarify question 3, I wondered if setting a nominal lap time for fastest path is somehow connected to what the AI would use as a target lap time for 100% AI difficulty (if they are using the same car etc).

Thank you very much for the information!

LOL @ 1 million horsepower drift monster :p

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2014
  4. peterchen

peterchen Registered

My 2 cents as an enthusiast AIW-maker:
    1. If you can do really smooth lines by running fast, run fast!
    I for one do the AIW in "slow motion". The smoother the line, the faster the AI!
    2. I wouldn´t run to much kurbs! The AI does it itself when driving!
    Taking too much kurbs can cause problems.

4. I would take a vehicle that is easy to control, good to point, doesn´t slip too much and has a good view.
    I use the MAK F3 in TV-cam so I have a good view on track and can point to the apex at the right time.
    5. Your setup is somewhat important: For the very "pointy" F3 in slow motion I use a understeery setup with low
    steering lock to "simulate" the wide line on exit one would take at full speed.
    But that depends on your style,- how (fast) you drive the line.

Greets
    Pete

5. Luc Devin

Luc Devin Registered

Hi
    dead link
    MP please :)
    Thank you

EDIT: Find