AI Tweaking

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hak, Oct 31, 2014.

1. hak

hak Registered

The AI in rFactor2 are the best I've ever seen. Still....there is room for improvement.

After several races at various difficulty levels, I came to discover a pattern to their, (AI), racing. At a low percentage the AI take corners quite slow and the straights fairly normal. If I stay with the pack in the corners then it is possible to have tight races with them. A corner here and there and suddenly I am ahead of the pack and they drop back several seconds. I make a mistake on a corner and they catch up. So, to make things more entertaining I up the percentage a bit. Now the AI take corners faster and also race the straights VERY fast. So fast that I cannot keep up. I make a mistake on a corner exit and away they go with no way to catch them.

Unless.........

What if the AI make mistakes as humans do? Can it be programmed in that the AI miss a braking point now and then? Can they slide off the side of the straight section once in a while? Can they miss an apex just a wee bit occasionally? They race so perfectly that it is very difficult to find a good balance for competitive racing with them.

So let's here some discussion on this. Modders are a very talented bunch and I would like to see their opinions.

Thanks for listening.....

2. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I'm not a modder by any means. But do you know about the "AI mistakes" value in the .plr?
    And the "AI limiter"?

Try messing around with those, and I'm sure you'll find a sweet spot.

Edit: And yeah, I totally agree. The rF2 AI even at default values is the best in all of sim racing.
    Nothing beats it. The "spacial awareness" and adaptiveness is off the charts.
    Never before has offline racing been so much fun.

3. hak

hak Registered

I did not know of those values in the .plr file. Thank you very much for that bit of info!

4. hamiltonfan2205

hamiltonfan2205 Registered

Yeah AI Mistakes should do it for you, but don't put it too high otherwise the AI will make so many mistakes.

5. hak

hak Registered

What a hoot! The AI mistakes variable did the trick. I have more testing to do but right now 3 seems to be a good choice. Tried 4 for a race and it was just like an online public server.....;) @3 they seem to race more like I do. Thanks again for the tip. I'm a happy camper!

6. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

You're very welcome. Playing with those two values did wonders for me, I tell you that much.
    In the first month of playing rF2 I got so frustrated with the AI.
    This made that frustration go away, and now I am only having fun, as long the AIW is properly done of course.
    Races that feel like real races. AI sometimes outbraking themselves, missing apexes, once in a while make a failed attempt at passing, etc.
    Pretty action packed stuff. ;)

Btw, I'm running with 0.25 AI mistakes. Might be a tad too high though.
    Gonna try a lower value tonight.

7. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

8. Lgel

Lgel Registered

Hello,

I tried AI mistakes = 0.2, and AI Limiter = 0.5.

This way with the EGT mod and no talent file I have the field more realistically spread around the track (avoiding a continuous train of cars).

But I fear it can be mod and track dependent.

Cheers.

9. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I also think its dependant on a bunch of other stuff I know nothing about. But I found too that the AI limiter makes such a positive difference in spreading out the field much more realistically. The default train of cars constantly grinding the brakes to artificially stay together is too silly.

10. hak

hak Registered

I've been doing some testing @ Spa with the URD EGT mod. For my entertainment...a variable of 3 for AI mistakes works quite well. I still get them doing the train thing for about half the race and they get into some good scraps at the turns. After about 5 laps they start spreading out a bit. So with skill @85% and a field of 10 AI, settling in behind the first three cars results in some good racing. It is funny too see them rear end each other going into slow turns and watching the body parts flying about!

Lots more testing to do and good fun ahead.

11. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I you want to make the "train behavior" go away (I personally hate when the AI artificially stick together) remember to fiddle around with the "AI limiter" values.
    The less limiting, the less train behavior, I find.:)

12. hak

hak Registered

okay Hex..thx for the info...I'll give it a try.