AI get worse after race restart

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by kevib1, Feb 22, 2016.

1. kevib1

kevib1 Registered

I often find I have to restart a race several times before I can get a clean first lap against the ai as they tend to fall over one another or all stop to watch a car spun off the track and I pile into the rubberneckers, etc.

In the last build I an noticing that on each restart of the race the ai's line gets worse and worse through several corners until they are entering a corner entirely on the grass and loosing control or running very wide on exit again all 4 wheels on the grass or gravel. Needless to to say this makes them progresively slower and completely erratic as they are shooting off at all angles and braking unexpectedly as they head off onto the grass. Another favourite, escpecially in the Flat 6's is to start formation spinning on a given corner the first lap on every restart brining out the safety car. This makes a quick race impossible.

I have noticed this on several default tracks such as Silverstone (all layouts), Portugal and Mills as well as 3rd party tracks.
    The cars I have tried are all tin tops being the Clio's, Civic, Flat 6 and BTCC mod.

It does not appear to be car or circuit specific and I start each race with a completed qualifying session to sort the ai out into order.

As far as I know the only config change I have made to ai is "AI Logic Override":1 to stop the very irritating swerving under braking to block every overtaking move.

My ai setting are:
    Strength: 102%
    Agressiveness: 75% although I have tried a range all the way down to 20% with the same result.
    Limiter: 25%

Is this something I have messed up or is this a bug?

2. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Not impossible, if you want a quick race disable flags, that disables pace cars. ;)

I mean to say in a quick race blue flags are pretty pointless, they activate way too early which makes you or the Ai
    have to slow heaps to escape penalty. ....and why you want to spend laps behind a pace car in a 20-30 minute sprint for
    ( I am assuming that is what you mean by quick race )

No flags settings you will still get flags waved in race for realism.
    Up to yourself whether you adhere to them or not but the Ai won't. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2016
  3. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Done many quick races in the past (not the actual build) with several restarts. Never had this problem you describe (if installation was ok).
    My observation is: if your rF2-installation is somehow screwed-up, it is first noticable in weird AI-bahaviour!
    Sorry to say, but test if a fresh install fixes this!

4. kevib1

kevib1 Registered

Thanks for your assistance guys.

I thought I'd give a re-install a go as I never have in the past 2 years. I wish I had before!!!
    It was much easier than I expected and as I tend to only use a few mods and tracks it only took a hour or so.

For now, it has resolved my issues, the ai are behaving themselves again now. They were back to doing the rather irritating and entirely unnecessary wander to the inside on a straight and then swerve back across right before the corner and have to loose too much speed thing (Silverstone has this issue) so I set "AI Logic Override":1 and now they hold their line and make you do the hard work and go around them. Therefore, that option doesn't appear to have been the issue either. I do play around with the player.json file so I had probably messed something up.

I'll continue to investigate and update this thread if I find anything else.

5. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Very good!
    This thread proofs a typical showcase.
    For all ever-AI-annoyed people: Remember this thread!:eek: