AI get "nervous"?

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by banzai, Jul 20, 2012.

1. banzai

banzai Registered

When I close in on an AI car from behind, the AI driver seems to get needlessly nervous by my presence. Meaning, sometimes it slows a bit and, if in a corner, it may move off the raceline -- despite me still being behind it.

My AI settings are:

Strength: 110%
    Aggression: 50%

I actually don't mind this since it does feel a bit "human" for them to react this way, but often it makes it too easy to get around them. Perhaps upping the "aggression" level could help, but I'm already struggling to keep up with them. :eek:

Of course, this could all be in my imagination too. Has anyone else experienced this?

2. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Registered

Are you sure they aren't just outbraking themselves? I see that alot whn I'm behind them.

Also, afaik the aggression control their behaviour, strength control their speed. Try a higher number and just decrease their strength to keep up.

3. banzai

banzai Registered

What I have noticed with the 1960's F1 cars is that when two AI cars are close together lap after lap, then I catch up to the one behind, it tends to slow a bit. It's noticeable because the first AI gets further ahead.

I'll play with the aggression setting some more and see what happens. Hopefully it will cause them to attempt to pass on the draft too. That would be fun.

Thanks!

4. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

I think you have to be careful with the aggression slider. You don't want BTCC behavior with those old open wheelers :D

5. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

There is indeed a few setting for things such as composure and recovery from a non-incident. For example if you hit door to door with someone while passing, how long before they recover their composure, or whether they are more mistake prone for a long time afterwards. We are still tweaking these things, and not all of them are yet activated.

The Formula Two grid is being based on this seasons real results, so drivers should finish in roughly the right order, and be more or less prone to do the things drivers do. :)

6. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Registered

Tim, are the two sliders we have available to us ingame interconnected at all? Or will strength ONLY impact outright pace and aggression ONLY impact behaviour?