AI Editing: Overtaking in Monaco and Wet Tyre Life

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by hamiltonfan2205, Jun 11, 2015.

1. hamiltonfan2205

hamiltonfan2205 Registered

Hi, I was trying to increase the rate of overtaking round Monaco for this weekend's race, im not saying increase it to there being as many overtakes as say Bahrain as thats impossible, but making it so there is around as many overtakes as real life. I was looking at the values in the AIW, eg, Acceleration Effect, Cornering effect etc, would any of those make it easier to overtake, and if so what value. Also I was wondering how to make the tyre life of the inter/wet tyres exactly the same as the grey marked slick tyres...

2. Bink

Bink Registered

About aiw overtaking rate: Make a "blocking line". I've done it with the software I'm writing, and found AI driven races to be much better. It gives rF more path choices. Pretty sure someone here can tell you how to accomplish it in devMode. Best chances of the AI driven cars actually "deciding" to use the new path at Monaco would be on the front 'straight', and after you come out of the tunnel.

Once you've recorded the new line (presumably in devMode), near the top of the aiw file you should see:
    definepath=BLOCK

I know this works if you're a Raikkonen Fan.... not sure otherwise...

3. Bink

Bink Registered

Started thinking that it might seem counterintuitive that a blocking line would help in overtaking.... The first time I made one was for Mario's Laguna Seca track. I noticed that on the last corner (the one before the front straight), if the car ahead does not use the blocking line, then there is a pretty good chance that a car behind it will use the line to go down the inside to attempt a pass. Same was true at the end of the main straight (into the Andretti hair-pin).

So... it might be listed as a blocking line... but following cars can also use it to attempt passes... and they do.

4. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

If you are smart while building BLOCK line, you can actually make some overtaking poin(s) around the track... AI code is pretty smart nowdays and it gives good possibility to make really competitive and realistic AI. ;)

Btw... Block line creation with DevMode AIW editor is described very good in ISI's AIW tutorial.