AI drivers - where are default talent files?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by justposted, Apr 22, 2022.

1. justposted

justposted Registered

I have tried to understand what is happening with AI talent files, but don't understand the basics. Hopefully somebody can help me out here.

I'm trying to work out what the S397 tracks use in order to define the default drivers. Are they defined separately for every car and/or track? I've searched for RCD and VEH files (barely knowing what they are, but seeing them mentioned around this subject) but there are very few on my drive. So perhaps they are embedded in mod files somehow.

Ideally I'd like to adjust AI strength across the board to give a more spread-out field on all tracks, but if they are buried in mod files for every car/track then that's probably beyond my abilities.

I have read the "RCD talent explanations" document by @Nicola59 which gives loads of detail, but I can't figure out the fundamental way that this all works.

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Try moving the AI Limiter Slider at the bottom left of the first screen of the settings. (gear Icon) Default is something like 5%. Try raising that and you should see more driver errors and variance in lap times. This won't force one car to the front always, nor will it make a permanent backmarker. Those indeed come from the rcd, but rF2 is so picky about when it uses rcd files, I can't promise editing those will work as planned either.

3. justposted

justposted Registered

Thanks @davehenrie . I've used the AI limiter, but still often only get <1s best lap times across the AI drivers. Tried a few different tracks and cars with different AI limiter values (0%, 5% and 95%). That's why I wondered whether there were some default AI talent files (or whatever) that one could modify.

Ideally, I'd like to try and get to maybe a 3s range of best lap times, so that the field properly spreads out.

4. Forcer77

Forcer77 Registered

hi! AI limiter doesn't help you in such case... but It's possible to do what you want... if you want to get 3s or more range for AI drivers (if their car's performance is nearly equal) you shoud change in RCD file such lines as Speed and QualifySpeed... for best drivers put such settings:
    Speed = 100.0
    QualifySpeed = 100.0
    and for worst drivers:
    Speed = 5.0
    QualifySpeed = 5.0
    and set AI limiter from 0 to 10... and you will see huge difference... I did it for F1 1991 mod and it works for me.. if you need help contact me

5. justposted

justposted Registered

That's very helpful, thank you.

I've been using the virtual driver builder (https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/rf2-virtual-driver-builder.51702/) which tells me how to create RCD files and I've successfully managed to adjust my AI skill levels to get the effect I'm after.

The only thing is, the RCDs need to be created manually for every car. Is there any way around that? It's pretty time consuming to set up for every car. One option would be for somebody (e.g. me) to create RCDs for every car, but then share them. Do you know whether that can work, or is it unique to each PC? The files look pretty generic, so if I could work out all of the official vehicle names (such as VehFile = 16_LASERTOAAAA0C45.VEH), driver names and and livery names then perhaps I could generate them all with a script.

r00b Driver and Hazi like this.
  6. acincheyenne

acincheyenne Registered

I use a .RCD file and change the drivers, there strengths and class and always let them run on a track before using and it works pretty good for me….let me know if you need me to share the .RCD file