AI collision detection

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Simonk, Jul 23, 2023.

1. Simonk

Simonk Registered

Hey everyone. Im having problems with my RF1 conversions with the latest AI update (and previous broken update). These were all working great on v1132 and the first AI update we had earlier this year but now I have issues with AI hitting me from behind or pushing me out of the way. It’s like they don’t know I’m there sometimes. I’ve driven some races in the s397 GT3 cars and the racing was really good so I’m wondering if it’s something in the way I’ve converted the cars that’s now causing problems. Setting AI aggression low does help but even at 10% it’s still a problem, even with aggression at 0% in the RCD.
    How should the collision mesh be set up? I’ve just used the RF1 mesh.
    Are there any other parameters that affect AI collision detection?
    This AI behaviour was specifically addressed in the latest update so I’m trying to figure out why it’s not working for my cars.

2. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

You can try leaving out the collision mesh, the game will make one automatically. You can see if that changes anything. It just needs to be a simple shape, I think it's max 200 triangles, but you should keep it as low as possible.

3. Simonk

Simonk Registered

Thanks for your response Coutie. I’ve discovered it’s a problem with other mods too so I’m rolling back to v1132 for the time being.

jim123 likes this.
  4. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

To play with modding cars we really have to went back to v1132?

jim123 likes this.
  5. Simonk

Simonk Registered

Not necessarily. I spent countless hours on my mod cars getting the AI perfect in 1132. They’re now not driving in a way I’m happy with and I’ve spent 3 days trying to improve them. I have been able to improve their behaviour substantially by adding and tweaking RCD files but I still can’t survive a 10 lap race without being hit. I don’t want to spend any more time on it so I’d prefer to just stick with v1132. I drove someone else’s mod cars and they suffered the same issues as mine so I figure it’s probably not so much to do with how I’ve modded my cars. That doesn’t mean that all mod cars are affected but I haven’t driven any others to confirm.

jim123 and Juergen-BY like this.
  6. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

OK, thanks for your reply. Seems S397 try everything to keep us away from mod cars and tracks? I`m going to install the SteamCMD version rF2 v1128 to use that version for offline racing.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2023
    jim123 likes this.