AI 'aggression' and divebombing

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Old Hat, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Old Hat

Old Hat Registered

The AI submit too easily to divebombing at the moment.

To make sure we're on the same page about this: The general rule of *road* racing is that before attempting a move up the inside of a car that's in front of you and turning in to a corner, you need some overlap **before** they start turning in. Otherwise, they're entitled to take the racing line. I know for example at some UK circuits the stewards will want you to have your front at least in line with the driver who's on the outside. In iRacing FWIW, the rule is supposed to be "completely alongside" before they turn in.

At the moment, even at 100% aggression, the AI will surrender the apex by swerving away if you dive up the inside even from a long way back. It's quite impressive, but not correct. Maybe at 20% aggression that would be OK. But at 100% they should definitely exercise their rights to the apex. It's not even really about aggression, just correct road racing. I could see this teaching bad habits so that when racing elsewhere you'll be hearing things like: "Idiot!…I bet you do rFactor2, don't you?!" :)

Q: Do the AI know anything about drafting?

2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

V8Supercars use the "B" Pillar I believe, dont think there is a rule of thumb in RF2 regarding this issue especially with the AI, they'll dive up the inside if they see fit!
    The AI will be getting a good look at, most probably post Gold. They have been improved upon during the beta so far but as we near Gold I kinda expect they'll be put on the back burner for a bit, I have a list as long as my arm of AI related issues that need to be dealt with but dont feel the need to post it just yet.
    No I dont believe they have a clue about Drafting, certainly nothing I've seen in races suggest they do anyway!

3. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I think the way it works, with them yielding, is quite important to allow the human to not be in crashes. If you are that much faster, you may want to consider an increased percentage for them overall.

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

They certanily are too timid around Human opponents and thats one of the areas that needs addressing at a later date.