Advice in upgrading my PC to be able to really enjoy beautiful graphics of RF2

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Joseph Tavora, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Joseph Tavora

Joseph Tavora Registered

G'day guys, been enjoying the RF2 beta since it was released but have been forced to really back the graphics settings back to be able to drive with a reasonable screen rate and not be watching a slide show!

My pc specs:
    Nvidia 9800 gt graphics card
    4gig ram
    64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+ 2.70 GHz
    64bit windows 7 pro

So I guess I am after advice on what aspect of my setup is letting me down, or the best way to figure that out!

I am not really an IT bloke so let me know if I have left out any details or have not followed very good forum etiquette.

2. Max Attack

Max Attack Registered

Hi Joseph. How much money are you thinking of spending? Perhaps we could start from there.
    What country are you in? That might be helpful getting some local advise as to whats a bargain in your country.

3. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

To be honest I would wait until they have released Gold until you make any decisions. I had the 9800 and recently upgraded to the GTX 570...I am still messing with settings to get the game playable, still getting stuttering cars and slow motion at settings that should see the game flying. But your Graphics card for sure. Shop with care and a measuring tape, I nearly bought one that was an inch too long to fit in my case :rolleyes:

4. Joseph Tavora

Joseph Tavora Registered

Thanks for the quick reply guys.

I am in Australia, I am hoping it is a case of under $500 will be able to get my pc up to the task, but realistically I have no idea what it will take. I was hoping the advice here would lead me to be able to go out and upgrade where I need too, rather than for example spending money on more RAM or a better processor which might not actually be what is holding my system back.

So Knight of Redemption, you think it is a case of going out and buying myself a more powerful graphics card?

5. Max Attack

Max Attack Registered

OK, my tip then, is for you to look at MSY technology website as they have the best prices.

6. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

Oh no shadow of a doubt...it's a tough call though, you have to be sure your motherboard and power supply is up to the job of the newer cards. I had a close call with my GTX 570, just enough power cables to run it (it takes four) Your processor is a little old (in PC terms) even my Quad core is showing its age. You may even be better off looking for a second hand gaming PC $500 should get you one only a year or so old that is more up to spec and you can upgrade that more in a few months. My best advice is to really nail down the specs of your machine, what kind of pci slots do you have, will your power supply have enough outputs and have enough power for a new card. More memory is never a bad thing, Windows is a terrible memory hog and the more you have the better.

7. coops

coops Banned

mobo p67 or better and if sli later make sure board is SLI compatible, cpu; i5 2500k is plenty,plus the 560ti is the best especially if you going to sli in the future.

Z77 MOBO ASROCK $150 ram ddr3 required
    CPU I5 2500K $250 or if u want check ivory bridge
    GRAPHICS 560TI $250
    a bit more but well worth it and very up to date. also you only need 4 gig ram max for rf2 until 64 bit is released if ever.

8. MikeyRud

MikeyRud Registered

Ya coops,

That would be a good build -
    A i5-2500 is at $209 currently...@ newegg

In my opinion, what I have seen (not researched this exhaustively) is that the new stuff that's out now for us to play and whats to come out here soon, are out need more CPU power.
    vs GPU

Just depends on the overall rig.

9. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

10. Pluginz1

Pluginz1 Registered

What motherboard do you have Joseph?

Looks like you could upgrade your system a little more, slightly faster CPU, maybe 6000+, Ram, Graphics card, PSU. Could give you some better results like :)

Throw some CPU-Z pictures up of your motherboard bud :)