SOLVED Adjusting throttle response

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by toebee, Feb 22, 2017.

1. toebee

toebee Registered

From my understanding of the engine file we have a way to control how quickly the engine rpm falls in neutral. Is there a way to control how quickly an engine can rev up while in neutral? My current engine seems to rev up extremely fast but falls normally.

2. Navigator

Navigator Registered

I suggest to play around with engine inertia. That one makes it rev up slower and if returning is to slow, you can look at the throttle fraction and/or back torque.

Edit:
    RPMBase=( 0, -17.5, -17.5, 0.082, 1.207) // rpm, coast torque, reference max torque (assuming VolumeFract=1.0 & MixtureFract=1.0), idle function (throttle opening to maintain idle RPM), pressure power (power increase above reference air pressure relative to coast torque)

I mean the fourth value; 0.082
    You keep the engine at an idle rpm with this value.
    When the same values for higher rpm lines "give some", the engine will get a bit of fuel and rev back slower.

toebee likes this.
  3. toebee

toebee Registered

I am having a hard time understanding that in my head. When I get the time I will try messing with it. Thanks!

4. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Its not that hard as you may think.
    Engine inertia; lets say this is how "light" the engine is inside and how easy it is to spin it up.
    Make the value lower and it spins up quickly; like you have experienced.
    It should however, get back to idle pretty quick too......

I suspect the "0.082" value; this one -lets say for now- is how much the throttle remains open after you let go of the pedal.
    Lets say you want the engine at 1000rpm idle and I start with that line:
    1000 > 0.082
    1250 > 0.075
    1500 > 0.068
    1750 > 0.061

In this case (exaggerated, because it would run faster than 1000rpm) the rpm will fall back to idle slowly.
    It will run back faster in this case:
    1000 > 0.082
    1250 > 0.008
    1500 > 0.002
    1750 > 0.000

It's a matter of trial and error to find the proper setting you want of course, but you can play around with these values best.

toebee likes this.
  5. Raintyre

Raintyre Registered

If revs down much slower than up, it is also possible you have a very high engine brake config, which uses a portion of throttle even when your pedal is released.

toebee likes this.
  6. toebee

toebee Registered

lol I am an idiot. I didn't realize there was an actual EngineInertia field. I get it now. Thanks for the help guys