adding Multiple rf2 servers on a remote server

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by kro388th, Nov 24, 2017.

1. kro388th

kro388th Registered

Hi all ,
    I have sort of inherited our rf2 servers ..we have a remote server we rent from rack service on that server we have a separate STEAM account and our rf2 install ,from this install we have 2 working rf2ded's made from the one install using copy & paste /renaming player folders > 'Player' and 'Player2' ,these work fine ..
    We have tons of bandwidth and I want to add another rf2 server to it= 'Player3' ..
    This is where I need help ..I did not set it up the first time so I don't know exactly what I need to do ..

Im thinking I can copy the original 'Player' folder and rename it to 'player 3' but then after that im lost LOL ..I'm guessing I need to assignee it its own ports so they all don't conflict when all running at the same time? I really don't have a clue .. but it can't be that difficult having it all already set up & working with 2 ded's ..??
    Any suggestion's ??
    Thanks !!;-)

2. Carr

Carr Registered

It isn't that bad setting up another one. Copy the player folder and rename as you said, also make sure you rename the player.json file inside the folder to match. With the ports, have a look at the existing 2 multiplayer files and see what ports you are using and just add 10 to the higher of the 2. eg. HTTP server port: 64297 for player1 and 64307 for player2 and 64317 for 3 and Simulation port: 54297 for 1, 54307 for 2, etc

kro388th likes this.
  3. Goanna

Goanna Registered

You've pretty much got the process covered..
    1. Copy player folder and rename to player3. (I tend not to have spaces in player folder name...don't know if it is a required thing though)
    2. Go to player3 folder and rename player.json to player3.json.
    3. Open multiplayer.json and change ports so no conflict with other two servers(check their ports).
    4. Copy and paste the desktop shortcut for either of the other two servers and the rename ( I generally put car and profile as name eg GT500-player3-profile)
    5. Right click on newly created shortcut, select properties and in the target box at the end it should say something like + profile=player....change to +profile=player3.

Don't think I've missed anything, hope it helps

Edit: ninja'd by Carr while I was typing. Lol

kro388th likes this.
  4. Carr

Carr Registered

Yours is written up better and easier to follow, I also forgot about the shortcuts which make it easier. I also rename the shortcut to be whatever is on the server just in case you forget which one is which. eg. rF2 Server 2 - GT3s and rF2 Server 1 - Enduro, etc.

kro388th likes this.
  5. kro388th

kro388th Registered

Thx Guys ! ;-)

I think I have it ..so if I set the ports in the mp.json do I need to open anything else from the server side regarding ports?

Also we have rf1 server on there as well as a AM server ,all isi biased, so I assume I need to check ALL those mp.json (or what ever AM uses)files to make sure I don't have the same ports ?

6. lagg

lagg Registered

No (apart of launching the server, obviously).

Yes you can't open the same port, at the same time, more than once.

kro388th likes this.
  7. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Ports for rf1 and ams are in the 34000 range if I remember correctly, so shouldn't be a problem, but wouldn't hurt to double check. We don't have to do anything extra with ports on our remote server....

Edit: ninja'd again lol

kro388th likes this.
  8. kro388th

kro388th Registered

Thanks again guys ,finally got around to doing it & was a breeze thanks to your help !

Come race with us anytime !
    www.simracingonline.co.uk