About to start work on Rye House Karting Track.

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by diamondgeezer, Nov 15, 2014.

1. diamondgeezer

diamondgeezer Registered

I thought I'd throw a quick question out before I put some work into this...

I know Dave Waters started a Rye House track for rFactor 4 years ago, but can't find his WIP, or finished track downloads anywhere. If anyone has a copy, I would be mighty grateful for a copy.

My Step-father and I used to practice this circuit with my 100cc Kart on the odd Sunday back in the late 1980's, and figured this Christmas when he pops over we can take turns blasting around it in rFactor 2 for old times sake. For the moment, I'm just looking to make the basic layout enough to drive it and enjoy it. All finishings and details can come later in the new year.

My plan, and this is my first attempt.. is to purchase a Bobs Track Builder licence to make the layout. It looks to be one of the fastest and intuitive track modellers out there even if a little dated. I figured I'd do the finishing in 3DSimED3.

Any suggestions in respect of a better process are very welcome, and if indeed anyone has Dave's track... pls upload it somewhere...

I noted my rfactor 2 Development section of the starting menu is greyed out. Will I need to by another licence to develop and import a track?

2. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Just a suggestion;

You could contact modders over on the Kart Racing Pro forums to see if they would be open to having a conversion done of one of their circuits.

http://forum.kartracing-pro.com/index.php?board=20.0

If they were agreeable, there is a treasure trove of kart tracks just waiting to be converted. I seem to recall Rye House being over there, or someone working on it..... I don't exactly recall. But anyway, just a suggestion.

As for the Dev section, you need to download the dev mode (SDK) http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/devscorner/

3. diamondgeezer

diamondgeezer Registered

I just bought a Licence for Kart Racing Pro, and completely forgot they had the track. I don't think its a community made effort so doubt they would be happy to see it converted. Not sure on the whole rFactor2 Karts vs Kart Racing Pro thing, but will try it and see how much fun it is.

4. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Ah, I thought it was a community effort that someone might be happy for you to convert :(

5. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I just bought a KRP license, because of this thread.
    Went straight to Rye House Karting Track and was pretty much blown away.
    Fantastic sim and a fantastic track. Would be lovely to have it in rF2 too.

6. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

The Piboso sims are vastly under rated, Hex.

Weather, drying line, dynamic track surface, marbles and all that.

Very good indeed. Their problem is their products are in a state of perpetual beta. They release one sim, then another a year or two later....

Gp bikes
    KRP
    World racing series
    MX bikes

7. diamondgeezer

diamondgeezer Registered

Well having wrestled a little getting eyefinity and my g27 working well, I can say I have had great fun on Rye House in KRP and bought back memories. The track looks accurate, but the graphics and shading quality in KRP overall looks dated, and by no means a test of a very decent graphics card. Handling seems good, perhaps a little twitchy and easy to spin to me; but could be lack of practice on my part. I never had the balls (age 13) to enter turn 1 at high speed back in the 1980's, but was able to grow some virtual ones and belt it round, lol.

To see this track with the graphics engine in rFactor2 would be something though... I have extracted the rye house track and *could* load it up in 3DSimED3 or similar package to convert it to rFactor 2, but fear licencing red tape might block any effort to distribute it.

For now, it's good enough to satisfy a xmas burn up with my step dad so aims are mostly resolved.

8. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I'm just baffled that I hadn't heard of this sim before now. It really does have some quite advanced features. I really enjoyed myself yesterday racing it.

9. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Very poor marketing and a massive reliance on word of mouth.

I tried to set up a league on it about 18 months a go. The netcode is/was just too sketchy.

You may be interested in this video I made a while back about World Racing series, also from Piboso. The effects shown are in effect in the same way on KRP.

10. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

"Criminally underrated".. Love that sentence. :)

I saw some really, really bad netcode online yesterday in KRP. It was horrific.
    It's just too bad I think. The foundation for each of those sims is amazing, such a fine job he's done.
    This appeals so much for to me than for example AC.

11. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

It isn't TOO bad off my dedi. But one person with a slightly bad connection and everyone in the server starts to exhibit funky behaviour :(

The issue is (from what I remember from a thread I made in the forums many moons a go). Is cash flow.

The initial hype of a release boosts their income allowing them to work hard on that title. But then, after a while, it reaches a platau. So much so, they need the hype of a release.

But I'm still as surprised as I was back then as to why modders have not jumped on it. From my investigations it seemed about the same level of time and detail was needed for this as was for rf1.