About the CGHeight parameter and the real CoG height

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by BerScott, May 3, 2014.

1. BerScott

BerScott Registered

I have some doubts about CGHeight. I assume that the center of gravity height is the sum of CGHeight + RideHeightRange as CGHeight parameter is measured above reference plane and RideHeightRange below, am I right?

But this is what is read for some HDV files in the CGHeight parameter comment: "height of body mass (excluding fuel) above reference plane". As I know the center of body mass is a different thing that center of gravity height, am I wrong? This makes me confused.

Could someone please clarify this?

2. Sk1dmarks

Sk1dmarks Registered

Naah, center of body mass and center of gravity are both the same I guess. :)
    But yeah, as far as I remember if you search for the center of gravity of a car, it's usually measured from the ground instead of the rFactor way: from the bottom of the car (reference plane).
    If I'm wrong, please correct me, fellow modders!

3. dandar

dandar Registered

CGHeight defines the height of the Centre of Gravity (CG) above the reference plane, which is the bottom of the body tub. Height of the CG above the ground plane is CGHeight plus the Ride Height.
    In short, CGHeight it's the vertical centre of gravity above bottom of chassis.

The difference is that the centre of mass is the weighted average of location with respect to mass, whereas the centre of gravity is the weighted average of location with respect to mass times local g.

In other words, taken from wikipedia

Center of gravity is the point in a body around which the resultant torque due to gravity forces vanish. Near the surface of the earth, where the gravity acts downward as a parallel force field, the center of gravity and the center of mass are the same.

Center of body mass is the unique point where the weighted relative position of the distributed mass sums to zero.