About pit stops....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guy Moulton, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Is there any way, ISI, that you could introduce pit stop pre-sets? So if something happens in the race, we can easily go into a pit stop menu and simply switch strategies rather than having to stick to the strategy we set up with our car setup or change everything while going flat out on the straight? I usually set up (in other sims that use pre-sets) a stop for splash and dash, damage only, full stop or jut 2 tires. If rF2 had this it'd really help us out that like to use pit stops.

Also, is there any way that the spotter (once working) can tell us that the pit stop is over and tell us to go? In real races of course the drivers have someone telling them what's going on in the stop.

IMHO when we stop, we should be able to go at any time instead of the transmission magically engaging at the end of the stop. If we go too soon, have the engine cut out and the crew has to re-fire it or we have to if the car has a starter. Pit stop errors are a part of racing and are an essential skill to master if you include stops.

1 person likes this.
  2. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

+1 for pit stop presets

3. Crankee Stroka

Crankee Stroka Registered

That would be awesome for gold release & beta testing champions like us :D
    A Deluxe Pit stop plug-in perhaps?
    Maybe as, (when gold), rF2 add on pack?
    Heaps of extra animations, skinnable crew, pit gals helping ^^
    paintable toolboxes & pit area... *sighs
    omg I'm getting excited ^~
    There was a mention relative to animations about drivers/crew having punch ups lmaoo

4. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

+1 for pit girls ;)

5. osella

osella Registered

This thread made me think - not for any particular reason why this thread exactly but - there are SO many things we didn't have in any previous sim. Or we had them in some, but there were missing other that were in another sim.
    It will be so interesting to see what all wishes make it to the final product, but obviously lots of them won't for various reasons.

Most of us probably had a moment when we had a great race say in GTR2 or rF1 and said "this is the perfect sim" when in fact it didn't do half of all the features of real racing!

6. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

If it could only be one or the other, which one would it have to be?

7. GauchoRS

GauchoRS Registered

a good implementation of pit stop would make a huge difference to other race gaming titles ...

lets get rFactor2 to the lead of racing simulation including
    - pitcrew (don´t need to be animated, unless the "lollypop man" is )
    - full control over pit settings (extra menu and "voicerecognition for negotiation" with race engeneer)
    - more control over IA pitstops (forcing x pitstops during race, only tire change allowed, etc.)
    - pitstop windows

8. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

pit girls,pit girls lol

9. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

+1

10. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

It's funny how 2002 was just about the pinnacle of pit stop implementation.

Not to mention it also had marshalls pushing the cars to the side of the track.

EDIT: Not perfect but better than anything before or since.

11. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

The pitstops look awesome!!!! I would love to see that in-game. The marshal thing is cool but I would imagine there is an ethical (could be the wrong word) Issue there as people could just drive to run over marshalls and that opens up a whole can of worms.

12. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

You can't hit the pit guy showing you which way to exit either, don't see why that'd be a problem.

EDIT: Also, what's to keep you from running over the pit team?

13. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

+ 1 here, the AI cars egocentrism ruins offline experience, they make their own (wrong) strategies and don't change at any circunstamces, even they're already run out of tyres.

14. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

How I wish some rich messias funding a new Crammond's F1 project. It's very sad to see how F1 games are just declining over recent years.

15. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

I'm just saying mate. I have seen plans for games shelved when they involve "people" for fear of offending people.

16. Kalanur

Kalanur Registered

GP4 needed a animation for only 1 car, rfactor would need something dynamic that would work for thousands of different cars (with all those coming mods) out of many different car categories.

F1 2010 and 2011 by Codemasters also had good looking pit stops like this

I would love to see animations like that in rFactor too of course. It's kinda funny to see the other cars standing around in the box without seeing their pit crew :)

17. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I've only done a few races iin f1 2010 but when I pitted at Monaco and I saw mmy pit crew running out to service my car aand at the same time the ferrari crew came out and I saw the mclaren crew finishing up it put me IN THE RACE not just in the game. Details like this create that immersion amd extra bit of WOW that sims (all current Sims) lack but "realistic racers" produce. Sims got the driving down. Codemasters got the WOW down.

18. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

ISI took the time to put engineers at their computers opposite the garages along the pits for tracks like Malaysia - just like F1 has.

I think it's pretty safe to say we will have full pit crew animations.

19. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

True. They'd have to include a very robust system for locating various necessary points and orientations of said points (limits of the car, wheels, fuel filler cap, windscreen, etc.) so that the animations could properly adjust themselves, and even then it'd be a huge task. Either that or just leave the system open so that modders can do it for every mod themselves...

20. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

I'd rather something happen than just sitting in an empty pit box and have my tires changed via my imagination lol