A weird bug - 30 sec slower and we dont know why

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Tomhah, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Tomhah

Tomhah Registered

Hi,

I am creating a new thread here about a really weird bug, I have no longer any idea what causes.
    The thing is...

A friend of me just got rFactor 2 as well, and I created a server where we could race. So far so good.
    But... my friend is 20 seconds slower than me at Croft with the Clio's, while he looks fast etc on the replays. There is no way he is in fact 20 sec slower than me by driving. Did some drag-racing etc, and I am flying by him.

So... We checked all his inputs etc, and the throttle, brake and clutch works as it should. Brake or clutch is not on while driving, and he can have full throttle.

His game does not lag (except for a few spikes here and there), and the server should be good. He even tried offline and posted the same laptimes.

So... using the great MoTeC plugin, I thought I could check the data, to get a good answer. But that did not really help... it can see his laptime etc, but there is something really weird with it. Just look at what happens if I try to create the track based on his data:
    View attachment 6731

I have seriously run out of ideas of what the heck it can be. Any suggestions? I find this really really odd. Its like the game pulls his car backwards, as his car even shows the same speed as mine do!

We use the same setup (default) etc... nooo idea what can cause this? It is really really weird.

Any thoughts?

2. Max Angelo

Max Angelo Registered

If your friend is playing in a sort of slow motion, most likely its CPU is falling off the real time.

What the system he has?

Tell him to go in Settings--->Controls and to check in the mapping window--->Misc tab what the key combo for
    CPU time.

When on track, press the combo key for CPU Time and will appear a window on the right upper side of the screen.
    The purple (p as physics) horizontal bar never has to reach the right border, if it does means that the physics CPU is unable to compute in real time.

It might be the CPU type, if under the min requisites, or the steering peripheral in case of old wheels, or who know what.

Reassuming:

1) check CPU time

2) report if the bar is full purple

3) report CPU and peripheral brand and type

If the issue comes from the peripheral the fix is easy, editing the line

Skip updates="0" // Apparently some drivers can't handle a quick FFB update rate, so use this hack to skip the given number of updates (0=full update rate, 1=half, 2=one-third, 3=one-quarter, etc.)

in the [ Force Feedback ] section of the controller.ini.

3. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

Max's suggestion seems likely.

IIRC, MoTeC kinda fakes the track layout from the speed/distance/g-load data. It's not reading (x,y,z). So what that map tells me is that there are big gaps in the telemetry data.

4. Tomhah

Tomhah Registered

Hi,

You are right, the bar goes purple all the way.
    He has a Intel Pentium 4 CPU at 3.00GHz

Wow... Time for an upgrade for him! Single core is... sort of outdated! :)

Thank you guys for the help! :)