A possible solution to stuttering......

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Navigator, Jan 17, 2012.

1. deak1944

deak1944 Guest

djt, My frame rate would be above 200 and never drop below on a single monitor. It would still stutter in all the sims. This has happened on my last two computers and seems to be a Nvidia thing.

2. djt

djt Registered

If you are getting stuttering with v-sync enabled and the frame rate is consistently above the refresh rate of the monitor then I would start to look at other reasons for the stuttering.

Most of my GPU driver installs take place on a fresh OS (when possible) and I’ve had every high end Nvidia video card released in one of my two gaming setups for the last 6-7 years and have never had stuttering with v-sync enabled when the frame rate was above the refresh rate on the display.

3. MarcG

MarcG Registered

One thing people need to remember is this is Beta, there will be optimising of the game to make it run better. panic buying a new card or overclocking everything is in my opinion not the answer, wait until a few beta updates have been released then think again is my advice...by then gpu prices would've come Doreen further as well ;)

4. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Registered

I have v-sync stutters even with a solid fps. Without v-sync I run consistently 100-150fps on a single screen, and with v-sync on I get bad stutters. Turning off v-sync and limiting to 60fps I get butter smooth gameplay, but with some tearing occationally. The bad part about limiting to your refresh is that the tear is static. So if you get a tear along your horizon or somewhere very visible it's going to stay there until you drop below your refreshrate.

Edit: The flush thing worked wonders, btw. That combined with no replay recording practically got rid of the stuttering for me, as long as I stay above 60 fps.

5. samuelkorthof

samuelkorthof Registered

I was looking for a good reason too confince my wife of spending money on my PC again. This was one ;)

6. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Now that it is noticed; indeed there is an tear sometimes, I see it too.
    On my machine, this tear -regardless of the settings- is always there so I don't really "see" it anymore.

But I understand some guys not having the tear and with this setup, you do?

For me it is not a choice wether to have stuttering or a tear; the tear is always.
    But still; a tear is ofter above the track and doesn't really bothers me, way less then stuttering; then I can't direct my car to the apex sometimes, so bad is it.

Still; if you did this and got a tear that annoys you, this is the cause than.

7. F2kSel

F2kSel Registered

Another thing I've notice and it may be related is that for some time after you've quit the game moving windows about the desktop is also quite jerky. This seems to go away after some time.

8. AlanBernardo

AlanBernardo Registered

I tried it before. Like I say, severe drops in fps (which generally is a track optimization problem) is going to cause lag and not stuttering. Stuttering is a different thing, something you can have no matter to fps.

Alan