A plea to all track makers!

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Woodee, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Woodee

Woodee Registered

When naming your track component, please put the year after the name which your circuit is based on!!

I am currently trying to catalog tracks to make up some full F1 seasons of tracks from the eras between 1990 and 2000.

Also... when naming a track don't put "Track name v1.3". There is a version number box in the component screen for a reason!

Thanks for all your hard work.

2. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

And no spaces in the rfcmp name!

3. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Track-name_Year_Group-Name_vnumbernumbernumber.rfcmp (year if applicable).

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2015
  4. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

Having the version number in the rfcmp sometimes helps with indexing and deleting old stored versions. Without it you need to install each rfcmp of the same track to see the version.

5. woochoo

woochoo Registered

Yes, it's worth keeping in mind alpha-numeric sorting for stuff like this (and anything else on a computer).
    My current format for cmp file names is:

CircuitName_CircuitYear-VersionNumber_GameName_YYYY-MM-DD_AuthorName

e.g.
    Longford_1967-v098y_rF2_2015-11-03_woochoo.rfcmp <- old test version between v098 & v099
    Longford_1967-v098z_rF2_2015-11-03_woochoo.rfcmp <- old test version between v098 & v099
    Longford_1967-v099_rF2_2015-11-05_woochoo.rfcmp

If scanning through my tracks packages folder I probably know what circuit I'm looking for, which is why circuit name is at the front.

The game name is mainly a hangover from rF1 when there were longford conversions for the simbin games as well, but it may come in useful if I make a version for other current games.

As much as possible I now try to write dates in ISO 8601 format (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601). That helps when sorting alpha-numerically, but in this instance the date is well down the hierarchy in the file name since I don't consider it the most important or informative part of the file name (can use windows features to sort by date if needed). The year of the circuit and the version number are more important for me in this case.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2015
  6. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Thanks Woochoo... good ideas :)