a new track modelling tool

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Coanda, Aug 13, 2014.

1. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

A track is terrain + objects.

Objects can be picked and placed, scaled and rotated. You just need a good library of objects to select among them. BTB already covers this aspect although it does not support today's nice looking shaders or billboards. There would be no need to have the expert knowledge to build them. Community would create excellent xpacks (libraries)

Terrain is the tricky part of track modding. Seamless connections between different materials takes a lot of job to do. There is where BTB fails. It ia impossible to do a quality job. Mapping features are very poor.

However OP is saying that this part is already solved and the golf course building utility is the proof of it.

What OP an myself in several other forums have asked for would be an easy tool to make a nice terrain. The rest is already solved by other tools.

Therefore tuttle has shown he fully understands all the fundamentals about hardcore 3d modding. However he is blind to understand what is being requested. An enhanced BTB supporting rF2 as 3dsimed does. It is very simple and I know it will be made not too long from now...

2. peterchen

peterchen Registered

3. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

That's all you need to make a fantasy track, not to simulate a IRL place. I must be blind but not stupid. Sorry.

4. peterchen

peterchen Registered

If you can add all the values that are needed to do all the geometric things?
    What´s the problem?
    Sorry, but I must be think that you are somehow "biased" or limited in your thinking!
    What´s with your fantasy?
    Isn´t that the key to new terrain?
    I remember ISI-stuff saying "Rf2 will break too many barriers"
    What´s about that?

Sorry, but I have to say that it seems to me that ISI started a very new ambitious project without the needed capabilities!

5. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I don't agree. It might not be as perfect and exact but for sure functional and nice looking.

Many circuits have been designed with BTB so it can be done.

6. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Try to calm down please.

Fantasy mean you're going to build something don't need accuracy (you don't have a reference to match, you don't have to made triangulation measurements etc...) which is also the key for a simulator. You need more accuracy when you build a existent road, which is part of the terrain yes, and you also want to see buildings and structures not just like "objects" but like unique features. Those are not available in generic libraries. This means you've to model all this stuff if you want to simulate a IRL track. And here we comes with another paradox; if you have to model this kind of structures, no matter the level of quality, you probably already have all knowledge and skills to model a spline based loft in 3dsMax, and then use the same spline to map the road. And you have all basic skills to make a rough terrain and paint along vertices to lerp textures. You also have a loads of terrain textures ready to be re-used or you could just analyze ISI terrain textures to make your own without copy&paste.

At the opposite; if you have to build a fantasy track (which is NOT a offensive term at all), you are not forced to build any specific/unique feature (aka The Wing, The Pagoda, unique curb designs, Monaco buildings etc...) and you can use just libraries and you could use that magic tool to build a terrain and a road without struggling with matching issues (elevation profiles, cambers, bumps, curb designs, armco designs, specific tirewalls etc.).