A Few Questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ImPrettyGuilty, Dec 7, 2014.

1. ImPrettyGuilty

ImPrettyGuilty Registered

Hi I'm new to racing sim genre and I bought iRacing only 2 days ago. But i bought it without knowing how much things are to buy, so the next best sim is rFactor 2. I've tried the demo and I like it/love it but so I don't get fooled again thinking paying £10 monthly grants me to everything made for the game. I'm here to ask first what do you get when you purchase this game? Is it like 7 tracks and 10 cars then if you want more cars and tracks you have to pay like iRacing or are they more reasonably priced? Also is there any special coupons for the game so I can get like say 5% off or something?

2. ImPrettyGuilty

Also does rFactor 2 support H-Shifter and Paddles?

3. matf1

matf1 Registered

Yes for shifter and paddles. If you buy lifetime, that's all you ever pay. You may purchase third party mods if you like. Sorry for brevity but I'm on quick smoko.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

4. ImPrettyGuilty

What are the prices and what are the differences between third party paid and free?

5. Minibull

Minibull Member

Ok. If you buy the lifetime license, you get rF2 and it's online usage for life, no need to pay anything more to ISI. If you buy the standard, you have to pay a small amount each year to use the online services. Something like USD$84 for lifetime and USD$44 for standard. After the first year of the standard license, you need to pay $12 each year.
    That is only for access to online services though, you still get the updates and all future content for free, even if the license is expired. You can still play singleplayer too, with no restrictions at all. I'm not sure if it was amended, but if the licence is expired, you can't use the autoupdater, you have to update the game manually. I think that may have changed recently though, so I'm not too sure.

All the ISI content is free and according to Tim, they won't ever charge anything for their content. It's part of what you pay initially basically. So when a new car comes out, you just download it and play.

Third party mods are different though, and it is up to the modder if he/she wants to charge a price for their content. It's usually a small amount, and not many mods so far have gone the payware route. Check out United Racing Designs for some good payware stuff.
    Theres not really a difference between third party free and payware stuff. It certainly isn't an indicator of quality, go off other users reviews and the general rep for that sort of thing. There is a lot of great free stuff in the forum here, check out the third party section to get an idea.

6. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

There was -20% off deal but I'm not sure if it's expired already.

There are plenty of free quality content and more will come all the time.

7. ImPrettyGuilty

Cool thanks for this I will let my iRacing month expire, may as well get my $12 worth :) And then I will purchase rFactor 2, say if rFactor 3 came out does the license carry over?

I can't play lol, I got 1m 57s on Silverstone GT circuit in Renault F1 which I thought 'hey not bad' until I checked lap times by upping the AI Strength from 80% to 100% to find out that they get 1m 43s ish. I will get there I suppose but for the rain Jesus **** that I cant go over 70mph with out losing control of what ever car I'm driving. Any advice? For driving apart from practice, maybe setup g27 better maybe or something, I already reduced Acceleration Sensitivity and Brake Sensitivity to 15% AS and 0% BS

8. Minibull

Minibull Member

Hahah, well that is a long way off for sure. It was stated by the devs that this is a long term project. From their interviews and such, it seems very long term. After the hard surface simulation is sussed, they want to do loose surface simulation. Safe to say you will be good for a long time XD
    If it does happen though, I'm sure we will hear from Tim regarding that :)

Heh, yep it is tough to get to grips at first, I certainly remember my first few laps in the classic F1 cars. I made the same mistake trying to go too fast too soon XD
    Make sure you check the weather settings under the session settings menu. You don't want to be playing with rain right away lol

I'd set your pedals back to linear travel and give yourself more time to adapt. It always takes time for you to get the "muscle memory" with a certain car, learn what you can and can't do with it, and how it needs to be driven. The best thing is to just choose a car and a track and just get lots and lots of clean laps done. Really spend a lot of time just slowly getting up to pace. Once you can get consistent laps done, start pushing things a bit further, maybe brake a bit later, or attack a corner a bit harder. You then start to learn and feel what you can do with the car and where. Don't worry about comparing times or trying for hotlaps, just get really tuned into the car.
    I use a G25, and I honestly change very little with it from stock inside rF2. What are your windows control panel setting like for the G27?

Make sure in the session settings you check what the "RealRoad Preset" is set to. That is the tech that give the sim the rubbering in from the car tyres. If it is set to "green" for a session, it will be very loose and slidy as at first. Most ISI tracks come with presets you can choose, they give you a nice starting point.

Also, start with something a bit easier to drive. I'd suggest the Clio, or maybe even the standard NSX as a fairly easy start. The Clio is front wheel drive, so it can feel very odd at first. Good fun though :)
    A real stunner for a beginner is the F3 cars, they are so brilliant to drive.

9. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I highly doubt that.

10. Emery

Emery Registered

No, the rF2 license isn't going to roll over to rF3. However, to put it in perspective, it was 7 years between rF1 and rF2... rF1 is still supported, the rF1 license is still valid, and the rF2 license is valid for lifetime (whether you buy the lifetime online access or not; personally, lifetime is a bargain, so go buy it instead of farfing about with annual).

LOL... there will always be BS!