A few questions about wing settings.

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Navigator, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Hi guys,

A while ago I thought I understood the wing settings and made me a calculating model.
    Now, I start to question my knowledge :( (and it wasn't that good to begin with).

Anyway; the front wing has 3 settings; 1-2-3
    The rear wing has 15 settings, BUT has also the setting "0".......something the front wing doesn't do; it stops at 1.

My hdv (provisional, testing)

I see no reason why the rear has a "0" setting; front and rear are the same?

I had to add a 16'th setting to the rear, otherwise it went up to setting 14 and not 15, like I wanted.

Anyway; when I have the setting 1 at the front; does it add 1 setting from 5 times 0,05= 0,25 ?
    When I set the rear to 3, does it set the wing 3 OR 4 times 1 setting of 1 times 0,05 ?

My intention is to make a 1:5 balance; 1:3 should balance the car and you can go up or down 2 steps with the rear wing. Adding 1 click at the front, you should add 5 clicks rear to keep your balance.

It doesn't work for now though; upper the wings both the max (3:13) makes the car loose balance. (Can't remember what way though, played around a lot with it)

Anyone to shine a light over this?
    Thanks in advance!

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The rear wing can be set to show degrees instead of the values. Something like displayflags near the top of the HDV.

lve always treated the first value (1) as 0 in calcs, so your base values.

As for balance, the lift base values are different, so that's probably (at least part of) why the balance is changing.

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Sorry, wasn't at my pc to check :)

Code:
    [GENERAL]
    GarageDisplayFlags=1           // how settings are displayed in garage (add): 1=rear downforce value (vs. angle), 2=radiator (vs. grille tape), 4=more gear info, 8+16=front downforce/wing/splitter/air dam, 32+64=rear downforce/wing/spoiler, 128=flip ups (vs. fender flare)

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Annnnd now I'm looking at your values again with less sleepy eyes... are you sure you're doing what you want?

Those front and rear wings have 35 positions each (0-34 for calculations, 1-35 in garage if the rear wing is set to show the value instead of the angle) as defined by the xxRange lines. The FWSetting/RWSetting lines just set the default position.

To further explain my balance comment, the base lift values are -0.400 at the front and -0.267 at the rear. So with both wings on the lowest setting, the front/rear raw ratio is 1.5.

With each click of wing, the front gains 5.0 * -0.05 (setting increases by 5.0 as per FWRange, each setting produces -0.05 as per FWLiftParams) = -0.25, and in the same way the rear wing gains -0.05 per setting, and -0.25 per 5 settings. But they are added to the base, so you get this sequence from the lowest settings if you increase the front wing by 1 click and the rear wing by 5 clicks:

-0.400, -0.267
    -0.650, -0.517
    -0.900, -0.767
    -1.150, -1.017

That final pair, which I think you want as your maximum settings, has a front/rear ratio of 1.13 - quite a shift from the 1.5 at base settings.

Added to that, the front wing downforce is affected by its height; from your settings, there is 0.01 lift per metre height, calculated up to a maximum front wing height of 0.30 (those values from FWLiftHeight and FWMaxHeight). That's not much of a factor in this case, with a maximum lift of 0.01 * 0.30. (note that means actual lift, not downforce, so you get your full raw downforce figure at zero height and then a little less as the front wing rises)

This wing aero balance is also being applied to your car which likely has body downforce, diffuser downforce, and maybe also fender downforce. So unless the balance of those matches your wings (and if your diffuser is doing anything, its downforce will be changing all the time which will be altering the balance too) the otherwise balanced wings will be shifting the balance point forward or backwards.

That help? :eek:

5. Raintyre

Raintyre Registered

Yes, for example you must check how is working diffuser. If you add wing downforce the car probably will be at lower ride height. If diffuser is very sensitive to lower height, it will add extra downforce, and this downforce will go to front or rear depending on its center of forces defined.

6. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Wow, guys, thanks for the explanation!

It is a lot to think about and I really have to dive in "deep". I must compare what you said with the files to fully understand it I must say.
    It pretty clear as you said it, but I have to think hard :)

Can't say there aren't more questions coming from me ;)

Thanks guys!