980 Ti OC'd finally enough to tame rF2?

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Panigale, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Panigale

Panigale Banned

Running rF2 maxed in-game at 1080p with MFAA enabled in the Nvidia console makes for a pretty good looking rFactor experience. Load a track at near sunset and it can even give a looker like Forza 5 a run for its money. I also find that the higher the FPS, the more enjoyable and less headache inducing the sim becomes. Thus far having both with a fixed FPS and not dropping a frame has been near impossible, save for the few guys out there that claim their GTX560 can run rF2 maxed at 100fps. :confused: For the rest of us, not eating the mushrooms growing in the basement, we've been waiting for a GPU that could offer more performance. *I use a projector so my FOV is higher than most would employ on a typical monitor and that will play a role as more content is rendered.

The 980 Ti is one of the most capable GPUs currently available, even more so if OC'd, but does it deliver? Yes, it does...and sometimes no. Running at a fixed 108 FPS, @1080p (single screen), maxed in-game with MFAA enabled I have yet to drop a frame on any ISI track in cockpit view. While the GPU does peak at high 90s usage at times, it is very brief and mostly I'm in the 70s. (Atlanta Motorsports Park runs on avg a bit hotter.) I'm using the AMP Extreme 980 Ti with their included quick boost OC software set to 3D. I have yet to see anything close to 4GBs of memory use so this card at 6GB should be more than enough.

On quality 3rd party tracks like Sebring at near sunset I still drop a few frames which I found surprising. The green bar is only showing about 50% full but monitoring the GPU shows peaking entering the pit straight. I see drops of about 10 FPS, even if only my car is present. (Not likely my CPU playing any role as it is a 4770K OC'd to 4.2 and I have CPU threshold enabled (3).) Disappointing but there is always hope a better Nvidia driver will come along as I think the current 353.3x driver isn't completely rF2 friendly. That said, given ISI tracks aren't doing this I suspect there is some room for improvement in the track itself.

Track cam view on certain ISI tracks can still bring FPS well down. A field of 17 FR3.5 at Sepang is fine with cockpit view but change over to watching the race and 108 FPS can drop below 80 FPS at certain points.

I'm more serious about having a good sim setup these days so upgrading to a 980 Ti was the right choice for me. (Please visit my thread on the tobefaster sim chassis, incredible sim kit for the money.) I highly recommend this GPU for rF2. Unfortunately, it isn't our silver bullet yet, but we are getting close. :cool:

2. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Really nice, where abouts you live ?

lool ;)

Gone are the days saying xxx video card is overkill hey.

Why not buy the fastest card for 1080, most of the new gen games in the test below are maxxed and around 100fps.

pCars tops out a little down on that.

Actually the test is your cpu and clockspeed as well.
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_980_Ti_Gaming/20.html

I like TechPowerUp specs they don't push them silly, 1600Mz ram , etc. so results more aligned to a bigger audience.
    Test setup
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_980_Ti_Gaming/5.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2015
  3. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

When you say it drops below 108 fps, what moments are those?

Also, why 108 fps? Is that the refresh rate you're running?

4. Panigale

Panigale Banned

@DD LOL. A long boat ride from Oz to the States. Interesting that pCars is around 100 maxed. And I agree, IMHO the next gen Nvidia GPUs will still be very relevant for 1080.

@Spin, I use multiples of six for FPS, there is a logical reason behind it but too much to get into for this thread. It drops at various spots at Sepang when most cars are in the shot but I'd have to go back and test again to give you the exact locations.

Personally, cockpit view is what I'm concerned about the most and it shines very well there so I'm happy with it. I have a 2nd build about 25% done that will eventually be Win10/SkyLake/Pascal and that should finally conquer rF2 (I hope).

5. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Framerates other than at your refresh rate tend to cause a stutter. Try a framerate limit of 1 less or more than your refresh rate, there'll be a constant "hiccup" exactly timed every second or so. I think if you double or triple the fps from your refresh rate (e.g. 120 or 180 fps and 60 Hz) then you also wont get the stutter. But I'm surprised you haven't seen and/or noticed constant stutters with 108 fps @ 50/60/85/100/110/120/144 Hz.

Are you ever getting below 108 fps with the 980 Ti while in cockpit view?

6. Panigale

Panigale Banned

Maybe you could share this info with the iRacing engineers that decided on a cap of 84FPS. (It can be disabled to accommodate e.g. 120hz displays.) At any rate I'm going to pass on this discussion.

And yes, the frame drop on Sebring is in cockpit view.

7. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

CAM files are really poor at several tracks, Sebring being one... excessive LOD-multipliers combined with crazy LOD-values for objects can make any PC choke up. It's not as simple as just measuring FPS-performance and asume that it it shows the potential of hardware and/or software, optimization of content is critical. Max/High/Low settings at one track does not necessarily lead to same performance at another, same goes for vehicle content.

8. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

And according to who they are right? :)

Makes no sense at all. If you want smothness you must do as Spinelli said, set max frame rate to 60 or 120 depending on you minimum framerate. If you are able to get minimum fps higher than 120 you must set max framerate to 120 but as you said before everyone not eating mushrooms that's growing in the basement know that :p

Regards and great card you have there ;)

9. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I run NO vsync 60Hz blurry arsed setup running at 100+_fps

I dare you come and beat me at Spa in a F3 ............

Smoothness won't help you !

lmao ;)

10. Panigale

Panigale Banned

DD calling you out Nuno! LOL.

The great thing is you can have your FPS anyway you want it. Whatever works best for you is exactly how you should enjoy the sim. I wouldn't try to convince anyone of anything just reporting my experience with my settings. e.g. A bluemoon poured over a fresh slice of orange makes me at least a tenth faster. Especially if I'm talking about a lap I did. That may not be true for everyone.

And thanks for the props on the card. The thing is a beast, great looking backplate and no sag, unlike my 970. I figured it may be the last of the big cards so I went with the monster of the bunch. :)

11. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

This DD is a comedy :p eheh.

Would be my pleasure be defeated by you, at least we were racing :)

The card its a monster but I decided I will only change my 780TI with something that doubles the performance because I run on triple 42" screens so I need all maxed out inclusive AA and 980Ti its not able to do that yet will a lot of cars on track with minimum above fps above 60.

Next generation I'll pick the fastest one that's for sure :)

12. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

hehehe

You right it is not baiting or anything else.

It is just sincere banter and I am humbled by all the great people I lap with.

;)

13. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

980 Ti is about the same as dual 970s. A 970 is just a little slower than the 780 Ti therefore a 980 Ti is quite close to being double the performance of the 780 Ti. Not quite, you're right, but it's honestly close.

14. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

The fastest one you can get its about 70% faster than a regular 780 Ti

[​IMG]

Its already a good deal... :)