SOLVED [64 bit] Program can't start because d3dx9_43.dll is missing

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Marc Coyles, Jul 5, 2014.

1. Marc Coyles

Marc Coyles Registered

Morning folks... just upgraded (from a working fine build 660) to build 770 via auto-update (which worked fine, no errors, tested in 32 bit *thumbsup*).

Have just switched the exes over for 64bit and on clicking "Single Player" from launcher, immediately get "The program can't start because d3dx9_43.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

OS: Windows 8.1 Enterprise 64bit (as 8.1 isn't an option within profile. All other sys specs are as per profile > About Me tab).

<< NB: @Tim: Suggestion - add [64bit] as a prefix option for new threads in this section...? >>

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2014
  2. MJP

MJP Registered

Hmm that's strange as that file is part of the DX Redistributable package that comes with the installer and gets run automatically (unless you uncheck the box). Suppose you could try running the DXSETUP.EXE in the Support\DirectX folder.

Just out of interest how many copies of those files do you have in your Windows folder, on W7 64bit I have 2, one in System32 (used by the 64bit EXE) and one in SysWOW64 (used by the 32bit EXE)?

3. Marc Coyles

Marc Coyles Registered

Fixed... DirectX issue - although no errors were reported during the update process / syncmanager run, because dxsetup runs 'quietly' (according to windows' app log via event viewer) it wasn't reported.

Simply head to C:\Users\%username%\Documents\rFactor2\Support\DirectX and rerun DXSETUP.exe
    < or %rf2path%\Support\DirectX if installed outside of Program Files (x86) >

EDIT: heh - cheers MJP - was already doing it as you were thinking it it would appear...

Same as you fella - one in System32, one in SysWOW64 - no idea on how many prior to rerunning DXSETUP.exe but the one in SysWOW64 was created on my system in March 2013. The one in System32 is showing as created at the time of me manually rerunning DXSETUP.exe and no previous copies exist in Shadow storage (joys of Windows Enterprise edition), so as you say, the System32 version is the one being used by rF2 64 bit and was presumably absent.

They're definitely distinctly different files tho... SysWOW64 file is 1.9Mb, System32 file is 2.3Mb, however both have the same file and product version numbers acc to the Details tab from rightclick > properties *shrug*

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2014