60hz

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kek700, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

+1

Have had this since rFactor 1 :(. I think other games do this too, don't they? I'm pretty sure Battlefield does this as well when you set the fps limiter.

There's some sort of framerate synch-update setting in the player.json file which I tried playing with quite a while ago; it didn't seem to do anything.

2. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

The vast majority of my other games is fine. The thing is racing games have the very fast moving world so it might take a bit of a toll but it is something I haven't experienced with pC or AC when I have run them.

3. Hectari

Hectari Registered

What model of monitor is it?

4. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

It's also game based for me. With Battlefield 3, I can play with no Vsync, no fps limiter, and constantly fluctuating framerates with hardly any tearing, and there is a ton of side-to-side movement in that game (left to right movement of objects is when I notice the most tearing in RF). I think games, monitors, and GPUs can sometimes all have an effect on tearing behavior. Another example is when I had all 3 of my displays each hooked up via native Displayport to Displayport to my ASUS AMD HD 7970 Matrix, I never got tearing in almost any game, at any framerate, regardless of fps - all while using eyefinity and no vsync (trust me, I was not using vsync). I would get some stutters/un-smoothness during fluctuating framerates (more in some games, less in others), but no actual tearing. Then when I went to a 780 Ti, i was immediately "sent back to tearing world".

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Sometimes I think we trust settings and numbers too much, and end up ignoring what we have in front of us. Once you know what tearing looks like (obviously you do Spinelli; but I've known people happily going along in their chosen game and I can see massive tearing but they don't notice a thing (and I mean in person, watching the same physical screen)) you can't go for even a few minutes without seeing it if it's happening.

So, I find it surprising when people have a certain setup, say they have no tearing, and swear til they're blue in the face that there is no form of vsync going on. If you have no tearing during extended play, then surely regardless of any vsync settings or displayed framerate the logical conclusion is that something is forcing your screen to display whole frames?

Something I wasn't aware of for my own setup until it was pointed out to me (and I mistakenly thought this was widespread but nearly immediately was corrected), is that running windowed mode with Win7/etc Aero mode on forces some form of vsync. I ran for months with this setup and didn't even think about tearing, with my FPS counter all over the place through various rF2 builds, and it wasn't until someone mentioned tearing that I realised I wasn't getting any.

The game wasn't doing vsync, I didn't have anything else forcing vsync, my FPS counter indicated I didn't have vsync, but something about what windows and/or the GPU was doing was actually forcing complete frames. The moment I switched off the Aero interface massive tearing was immediately obvious.

So... I say trust your eyes. If there's no tearing, then something is doing some sort of vsync regardless of your settings.

6. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I understand why to limit fps to 60 for me with 60Hz is better on paper, honestly I do.

I have tried virtually every method and setting for optimum performance/quality levels ever outlined on the forum.

I still rather rely on the old low-med-high fps vs track and mod, quantity, etc.
    On tracks with high fps I kick up the settings
    I try to get around 80-120 so when there is a multi car spin with dust and smoke in front of me where the fps drops lower it does not jag out.

I can lap on F3-Rookies inches apart from good ping drivers cars, that is all matters to me as long as I have that level of smoothness and feel, I see no "noticeable" screen anomalies other then were a crash or excessive smoke and or dust at particular places on particular courses can cause "hiccups ". The speed immersion is brilliant ....forget blurring.

So I tested 60 fps limited and in online session 20 laps never got near my PB, ran into a few drivers, kept making minute mistakes.
    Tried GPU sync too again , that felt better, next session I went back to old formula, full screen windowed mode no sync..back on the pace.

7. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ya, Lazza. It was awesome. I had that 7970 for almost a year. I am always checking GPU settings, game settings, driver updates, monitoring in-game FPS, doing benchmarks, etc. etc. I would know if I had VSync on in a day, let alone 9 or 10 months :) . I know it sounds fishy, and I have no idea how it happened, but it did. Also, I can definitely feel when there's vsync, especially in racing sims because VSync looks so beautifully fluid (unless the frame drops and gets heavily choppy) and because of the massive vsync-induced input lag I easily feel in sims, and I had none of these.

I have a feeling it had something to do with all 3 monitors being natively plugged into the card (Eyefinity) via native DP to native DP. Triple screens on my 6950 and 6970 still had tearing. My 6990 still had tearing as well. So did/do my three different 780 Tis. I have no idea how I could play at all sorts of framerates and not have tearing with just that specific card (7970 Matrix) with that specific setup (all 3 monitors hooked-up native DP to native DP), no idea how it happened.

8. Kek700

Kek700 Registered

I have read and read about this on the internet and still cannot find a definite answer
    About fps and 60hz monitors, so forgive the next statement, from what i have read
    This is the most likeliest statement.

It does not matter how much resolution my hardware can achieve, or how many frames per second my cpu and gpu can generate, i still have to wait 17ms before my 60hz monitor can take another frame. I am also assuming my 1 pre-rendered frame is constantly being updated whilst my monitors picture frame is being written to the screen.

Yes i know i am dim.

9. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

I believe this is how things works in real life, not only in the paper like DD claims.

The graphics card sends one frame and that get displayed on screen, then sends a another frame etc. If you have a 120fps and a refresh rate of 60hz, it simply can't display all 120fps. It either drops 60 frames, or combines 1 and half frames and displays it as one frame. Both will result in screen tearing which is pretty annoying. Double buffering adds 1 frame of lag, Triple Buffering adds 2 frames. Try both, can help with lag.

Turn on the Game Mode for your screen as this bypasses any post-processing the screen does to make the picture look better. This is only good for movies and TV, not games!
    Windowed/Borderless can give you sometimes as high input lag as 64ms. Least input lag = Fullscreen. Windowed/Borderless + Vsync = Most input lag.

60hz LCD = 60fps = 16,7 ms
    100hz LCD = 100fps = 10 ms
    120hz LCD = 120fps = 8,3 ms
    144hz LCD = 144fps = 6,9 ms

LightBoost 100hz @ 100% = 100fps = 2,8 ms
    LightBoost 120hz @ 100% = 120fps = 2,4 ms
    LightBoost 100hz @ 50% = 100fps = 2,3 ms
    LightBoost 120hz @ 50% = 120fps = 1,9 ms
    LightBoost 100hz @ 10% = 60fps = 1,7 ms
    LightBoost 120hz @ 10% = 60fps = 1,4 ms

:)

10. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

Exactly, is custom! what i should do?

Is a 42 Philips TV LED 3D.

11. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

False, as already said, if you want better info, look at this: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...ery-low-input-lag-(but-in-expense-of-details)

You will get only entire frames every 17ms if you activate vsync or you are running at exact 60fps. If not, you will get portion of frames in the same screen refresh with different delays, just read and look at pictures in the post I linked. The overall result of using high framerates in 60Hz monitors is a less display lag taking advantage of a negative caracteristic from monitors.

And if you can't understand It... just test It. Use the lower graphic options possible, disable HDR, or even play at 1280x720. Get as many fps you can, and play full screen with any kinf of sync off (ingame or in you graphic card control panel). Do some laps in any "hard to control" car, Skip barber, Marussia... just feel how fast you are reacting to visual information. Then cap it to 60, or use higher graphic options to get around 60fps, you will see the feeling is diferent, It's not placebo effect, It's actally better for display lag to run high framerates with 60Hz monitors.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2015
  12. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

For me a 120 FPS looks much more fluid than 60 FPS even using a 60 Hz monitor refresh.

Sad thing is I have a 144 Hz monitor but I don't use it for driving sim, I go to my 60 Hz Projector. And at the same FPS, the projector looks like a slideshow after I get used with a 144 Hz monitor if you ask me.

13. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Stutters are they also not placebo effect :confused:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2015
  14. Kek700

Kek700 Registered

Read as advised, the new info has made me change my game settings
    To accommodate.

Thank you Esteve Rueda

15. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Nice discussion. As per keikei's post. I dropped settings to "restore" in Nvidia control panel and capped my 60hz tv to 90fps in player file. Top settings are all high with x2 anisotropic, low shadows. don't have to play with SGGG or anything else. looks good, stays steady and in a 10 lap playback at Mid-O, only had one stutter. I'm a happy camper. Think I will stick with this, unless some new drivers screw it up. (maybe then I'll just revert back to current driver)