3DSMax UVW Mapping

Discussion in 'Modding' started by redapg, Feb 18, 2024.

1. redapg

redapg Registered

Maybe one of you can enlighten me. :)
    I have often seen Mappings like the below shown ones, but could never find out, with which Method they've been made.
    On the left, you see the Shape of the Part and on the right the Mapping.
    [​IMG]
    the used Texture is this one
    [​IMG]
    and the Result looks like this
    [​IMG]

philrob likes this.
  2. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

In Blender I would probably just do a smart uv project or the like, then make one face in the middle fully straight/rectangular, and finally make the uv follow the active quad (that one I made rectangular). This will make all uv faces the same size and rectangular, no matter of the curve they follow in 3d. Afterwards the uv can be scaled as needed to remove distortion.

Something similar to this in Blender should also be available in Max, however, there might also be other methods. For Blender I saw that with geometry nodes and other stuff you can also achieve the same (if not better results).

redapg and philrob like this.
  3. redapg

redapg Registered

@FuNK! In 3DSMax there is Spline Mapping for Example, where the Mapping follows a Line, but that doesn't work in the above described Case.
    Is there a Name in Blender (i don't use Blender) , for the Method that you describe?

4. Emilian Huminiuc

Emilian Huminiuc Registered

redapg likes this.
  5. redapg

redapg Registered

6. Emilian Huminiuc

Other option would be Flatten with Normalize and Rotate enabled: https://help.autodesk.com/view/3DSMAX/2022/ENU/?guid=GUID-1DED6F38-8F4B-4E3D-86F3-3A727AC85888
    And tweak the angle threshold so that all the faces constitute a single "cluster"

Other way would be to go about it backwards: start from scratch with a square grid already uv mapped to the square texture, then stretch it to conform to the needed shape (that would work in Blender, where you could even use the Data Transfer modifier to apply it back to the original mesh)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2024
  7. redapg

redapg Registered

@Emilian Huminiuc Thank you, that you try to help, but i'm pretty sure that i tried all in 3DSMax available Mapping Methods, already.
    I hoped that someone would say "No Problem, download the 3DSMax Script XYZ from the Website ABC and that will do the Job".
    That what @FuNK! describes for Blender, sounds as if that could work, but i can not find something like that in or for 3DSMax.

And to model with an already mapped Object is no Option at all.

8. Emilian Huminiuc

9. redapg

redapg Registered

@Emilian Huminiuc That doesn't look bad, so it worths a Try, if it also works with a not symmetrical Object.

Corti likes this.
  10. redapg

redapg Registered

@Emilian Huminiuc THANK YOU VERY MUCH! :) That indeed works as i wanted to have it and i can only blame myself, that i didn't found that Feature before, in all the Years, that i use 3DSMax now.
    I guess it is partly caused by the Fact, that English is not my native Language.

11. Emilian Huminiuc

@redapg You're very welcome, glad I could help.

Corti and redapg like this.
  12. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

I used NURBS Surfaces to model (2 Rail sweep) when I converted a rather low poly road mesh to higher density/appropriately-sized quads (multiple cross-sections and an inner and outer guide rail.) It made short work of mapping. I then only UVW Xformed to get the proper tiling for width and length.

13. Vance Le Garde

Vance Le Garde Registered

FlashQld may be able to help he does tracks redapg

14. redapg

redapg Registered

FuNK! and Corti like this.