3DsMAX GMotor texture issues - Limit of 1000 textures.

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by fazed, Mar 13, 2014.

1. fazed

fazed Registered

Has anyone else hit this texture limit yet?

I'm working on a detailed track and have run out of texture slots, I'm at exactly 1000 and can't add any more.

I can overcome the problem by using two scenes and joining them later, but his will lead to issues for sure.

Is there a solution or a simple work around?

2. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

If you're looking at that kinds of limitation in 3dsmax, the big question really is, is this ever going to run in a realtime environment like rF2?

The limitation is there for a reason and if you used up 1000 multi sub material slots, I'd be looking in ways to at least combines those into logical
    groups. For example, all walls can share one and the same multisub, same for guardrails, driveable surfaces, foliage, buildings, etc. This also allows you to share
    more shaders per asset which should also benefit performance.

3. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

WOAH! 1000 textures on one track... Or is it 1000 materials..?

You probably will have major performance issues in game.

I would do some "texture-atlasing" and decrease number of textures/materials to 1/4 what you have now, using multiple sub-materials as wgeuze said. ;)

When working with large scenes, it would be better to model each track side object in own project and import it to "main" scene and export it from there. Then you don't have to fight max's performance problems all the time.

Cheers!

4. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

MAX have 24 material slots. Each slot can be a sub-material.
    So 24x1000 = 24000 materials .
    Rfactor don't care about materialID or slots only matter material name. So beware with material names use unique names or you get problems in game.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2014
  5. fazed

fazed Registered

Yes I have got a bit carried away with track details.

It is 1000 textures, each with shadders and bump mapping and so on.

Thanks Mario, I didn't think of using another material slot, for some reason I thought they had to be all under on slot. I will give it a try and see what happens.