3ds Max 2012

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by ReTin, Apr 24, 2015.

1. ReTin

ReTin Registered

according to my question in http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/24497-Where-to-get-3ds-Max-2012

Sorry, to ask again, but I think you got me totally wrong.

I do want to get a legal copy of that software. The only problem is, that I can't find any version prior 2014.
    So for the start I wanted to try the free Student version, they offer. But it's only 2014 and later.
    And I also was not able to find any store selling the 2012 Version.

I'm definitely not asking for any piracy links.

2. djbob

djbob Registered

It's a very good question, and one it seems ISI are unwilling to offer a solution to :confused:.

3. woochoo

woochoo Registered

I doubt any authorised distributors are allowed to sell anything other than the current releases either (except 2014 and later on subscription).

4. RJames

RJames Registered

I very much doubt your find any copies of 2012 for sale unless something like ebay etc. 2012 is not supported by Autodesk any more nor is it 100% compatible with windows 8.1 which was why a while back i raised the issue of when Current versions would be supported. Having a game which a large part of it is the mod ability but then not supplying the tools to be able to do so on current versions is silly, ive a number of models i've built in 2014 as 2012 did not work until tools are available they will be gathering dust on my storage drive. :)

5. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Just throwing in a question here:

Could 3DSMax be substituted with Blender? I mean it is totally free and for as far as I know (which is not much) it is just as capable. Aaand did I mention it is FREE!
    You can even get it on STEAM now also for FREE! There must be some odd reason why people keep paying enormous amounts of money for something that is available for FREE!
    I don't understand the psychology/logic behind that.

6. RJames

RJames Registered

Blender would be a nice option however blender is only of recent years compared to max which has been going for years so those most experienced are likely to be using max and used to max. I love the way max works, i find the workflow easy and every easy to find. However with blender i did find it a little confusing just even to get started but its purely down to experience.

With regards to why use Max when Blender is free.. Why use windows when linux is free? :p

I'd defo like to see some drive and effort from ISI to update/modernize the tools available if that means providing to free 3d software fine/great/dandy however expecting us to use older unsupported software is a no no.

7. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

So, if I have close to no experience in 3D modelling, would Blender be the best option if I wanted to get into it? Because as it is right now I can't spend 500 bucks or whatever 3DSMax costs on software just for fun and then have the box rot in some corner in my attic and/or harddrive.

It is obviously possible to make tracks in Blender (Oregon Raceway Park). So it must be possible for doing almost anything with Blender.

8. RJames

RJames Registered

There are many 3d products on the market, 3dsmax and Blender being just 2. Blender certainly has come a long way and is widely used and would be a perfect start to someone wanting to learn as there is a good number of tutorials/videos out there. Alternatively you can "apply" for a student licence for 3dsmax which allows you to download and use the product for free.

I did the student route, as i wanted to learn the software package. ;)

9. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Yeah that might have worked for you, but I'm having serious doubts they would believe me being a student. :cool: Haha
    I tried some modelling with Blender by YouTube tutorials BlenderCookie and such but the vertices and all that stuff is so confusing when the models become more complex. I'm really losing track all the time. Is this just something you have to get used to or are there options to keep it simple?

10. RJames

RJames Registered

At start it really is alot of build something > scrap it > build something new > scrap it > build something better.

I found to start the easiest thing was to not attempt a whole car or track build. I started with things like Tirewalls, Foot Bridges (that go over tracks), A car bonnet, a wheel etc. Each time was learning something new but not choosing anything overly complex. The biggest thing is finding a way that poly modelling suits your style and by starting with smaller items you achieve things faster and can scrap it start again quicker. Dare i say it but i found the assetto corsa forums really helpful as lots of people was asking questions, showing progress and saying how they achieved stuff.

Another thing i found really helpful was looking through all the build threads and actually looking at their wireframes, seeing how they did complex parts etc. It really is a game of trial and error when self learning but the reward is big once you get your first car on track or drive a lap of your first track.