$32 usb screen

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Murtaya, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

http://www.goverlay.com/index.php

Anybody got one? How easy would it be to get the LCD info from rFactor to display, or the trackmap plugin, or gauges? Be great if you could cycle between these three, and the price.... how good is that?
    Not affiliated, if I was I would know the answers!

2. coops

coops Banned

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2013
  3. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Very interesting!

4. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

Yeah I guessed it would probably be able to display any of the overlaid info screens in rF2 providing somebody much more clever than I makes a plugin. Was hoping someone would say yeah I got one and here's the plugin for free or small fee! If I buy it, its just another piece of electronic junk that would be useful if I had time + brainpower + some even minor programming knowledge. I look at the instructions for things like this and kind of see what needs to be done, but find it too daunting to try, much like track building and all the other cool stuff you could do if you had a brain. I have so many unfinished projects in my life I know this would just be another!

5. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Hmmm. This is interesting. I need to do some reading on this product. Thanks Murtaya for the heads up!

Edit: The API looks easy to implement. I think I will be buying this thing and I will make plugins for rF1/2.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2013
  6. coops

coops Banned

great news noel. I ordered 1 but have know idea how to make a plugin.
    look frwd to you making a plugin will you post it here ?

7. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

Yes if you will share the plugin Noel, I will order one, happy to donate towards your time if need be.

8. coops

coops Banned

I will donate as well.

9. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I plan to order one of these hopefully next month or maybe the next, just trying to get over xmas. ;) When I do I will make a plugin and release it to the public.

10. coops

coops Banned

tyvm noel cant wait. lol yes I can.

11. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

I got mine already, got it running nice with aida64 reporting whatever I want it to, not tried rtss yet I'm sure it'll work fine though. I looked at the "simple plugin instructions" and as I thought by about sentence two I am lost but I'm sure that's because I don't do any programming or writing of scripts etc. It does come with a EuroTruck Sim plugin which I believe is gmotor? so might be a good plugin to modify or at least give you an idea of what a working plugin looks like maybe?
    If you pm me an address Noel I will buy you one and have it sent, I'd like to contribute somehow to the community rather than just be another racer, by bringing it to your attention and getting you one to work with, I could finally feel I had done.....something. And not as a hurry up gesture either please understand, it happens when and if it happens, no obligation at all.

12. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

Anyone considering getting one of these I really do recommend it, as an info tool for the health of your system it really is invaluable. I like to overclock a bit; well as much as my system can take actually and this does help. I noticed that my overclock on my gpu was failing in rf2 without the driver crashing but only because I got a nice little screen next to me displaying core clocks and temperatures, along with plot graphs for fps, cpu and gpu utilization (plus any other sensor I fancy). Initially I could see a slight pause in the mouse every time the thing polled and was going to throw it in the bin, but changing the bios settings of my mobo to allow power on from usb mouse stopped this, now I cannot tell it's there at all, no pausing or slowdowns.
    If you can do a bit with visual studio you could make this do a lot. But as a buy and use product it is well worth the money. With some clever people on this you could mod a steering wheel to look like one of the latest race wheels with OLED display for virtually no money. When the hard bit (the plugin) was done you can modify the display with different jpg files to customize it very easily. It may even be possible to have different displays for different vehicles triggered automatically, but not entirely sure on that.