3 improvements that i want very much in rfactor2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rfactruo, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Jux

Jux Registered

Yeah ... bring in the traffic :D. Like you haven't played GTA, pretending to be lawful bus driver (every kid's dream job). Ahh and now imagine that with proper wheel and physics - insta-fun!

2. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

You said what? [​IMG]

3. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

That does look awesome, my renault R25 would still make mince meat of it though ;)

Blues brothers anyone?

4. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

I'm certainly not an elitist, I just love racing cars, there are plenty of need for speeds out there while the sim scene is small, if you can't see mixing a race car simulator with roads and traffic is dumb then there's no helping you.

5. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

And none of them are realistic. Sim scene is indeed small, but realistic street racing as a sub-genre is even smaller, featuring 0 games.

Way to not be an elitist by the way, saying things like "if you can't see mixing a race car simulator with roads and traffic is dumb then there's no helping you." I could mirror that by saying "if you can't see why putting the most boring, unfair to the competitors and political racing series (F1) into a simulator is dumb then there's no helping you." I'm not going to do that though because that sort of argumentation doesn't lead anywhere. And for the record, since when was rFactor a "race car simulator", as opposed to "car simulator"? =)

You clearly have your opinion, and I respect it. Other people have their opinions, and you should respect them too. Nobody is saying that adding a rudimentary traffic AI system would be in any way a high priority, but it would be well received by many (not an overwhelming number, but many anyway) if the ISI guys got bored one day and decided to give it a shot. =)

6. ROON

ROON Registered

Agreed (somewhat). In some games career modes work very well, such as F1 2010 or 2011, where the game is focused around being a Formula 1 driver, coming in with a mid to low level team and earning a reputation in order to get into Ferrari's, McLaren's or Red Bull's. I like that. However one feature in rFactor that was often completely useless, but other times absolutely infuriating, was the "money" system. Most mods didn't use it, but I believe one popular F1 mod did, was it an FS ONE production, or CTDP? I can't quite remember. But the point is, rFactor is a racing simulator, not a driver simulator. I want to be able to hop into what ever I want, when ever I want, and drive where ever I want. The money system in rF1 wasn't a career emulator, but it gave modders the opportunity to try and enforce one. I for one, hated it.

7. JJStrack

JJStrack Registered

I guess some people here are affraid, that the devs won't spend enough time on the things they want to have, so they bash on other ideas...
    @ mikey: no one expects ISI staff to do such things, since it really isn't theyre genre. but i really really don't like your suggestion an idea is "dumb"! i personally don't understand what's the fun about drag racing. but some people get joy out of that, so let them be! RF2 will hopefully simulate the physics of any kind of vehicle with more than two elastic wheels very good, so why not adapt that system to as many things as the modders are able to?? thats the idea of a framework system mate!
    EDIT: just to make that clear: with those vehicles i meant things like quads, 3 Axle Trucks, a Mogran 3wheeler and so on...basicly everything thats raced in real life.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2012
  8. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

I like to say something about the "traffic" idea. I just realized that you could basically build "traffic" in rF1 already. You just mod selected computer opponent cars so that they cannot go over 55mph or whatever the desired speed limit is. Sure they cannot follow any rules, but it is much better than nothing. And then with clever track modding you can make it look like they are driving in traffic like normal people. Problem is that they can get bunched up, thats why all the cars should go between anything 40-70mph.

Well just an idea, proceed... :cool:

9. frankwer

frankwer Registered

I don`t like traffic, i would rather have a "Marble Madness" mod where you can control a marble along a road with lots of obstacles. Also i would like a lawn mover mod where u can cut the grass. If this isn`t possible then i will cry.

10. JJStrack

JJStrack Registered

ummm...i think i found what you want: http://www.youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk/als/
    so no need for crying over there!

11. rVeloce

rVeloce Registered

I think engine sounds should be taken to a next level as well. More gear wobbling, crunching, and aggressiveness in the sounds. Too many sims have a tame, smooth sound, that needs to change.

12. NoClue48

NoClue48 Registered

Yeah, I found it a bit of a pain too, but stumbled onto the "ISI_BABYFACTORY" cheat early on and just worked around it. It's amazing how far $2,000,000,000 can be stretched.:D

For the uninitiated, the cheat is explained here:

http://www.rfactorcentral.com/rfact...o I buy/unlock cars? What is ISI_BABYFACTORY?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2012
  13. isamu

isamu Registered

*smh*

You guys should really be ashamed of yourselves. I mean seriously.....what is the friggin' point of playing a game for the first couple minutes and having ALL the most powerful and fastest cars in the game available to you right out the box? Wouldn't that spoil the game? It sure would for me. I want to feel like I EARNED that very fast car! I want to feel like I've done enough races to drive the best car in the game. If I am simply able to drive the McClaren F1 or (_insert your favorite awesome car here_) as soon as I install rFactor 2 then the game is basically spoiled for me.

I mean are you guys really that jaded these days that you just want access to everything right now and with NO effort? What kind of videogames did you play growing up? Were they the kind that gave you all the cool stuff as soon as you started playing? Or did you simply enter a cheat code in all your games to unlock all the best toys?

Sorry but that's not how I play my games. I want the game to tell me "HEY!!! Not so fast! You wanna drive this car? You're gonna have to put some blood, sweat and tears into some hard races, and EARN the privilege of driving it!". That is what makes a game compelling and what makes you want to come back to it again and again.

I hope those of you anti-career mode people reads this and realizes what I'm saying. rFactor 2 needs to have replay value for the single player portion. If we can all drive the best cars in the game immediately then there will be no point in playing single player, and the only replay value will come from racing other human beings online.

14. Slothman

Slothman Registered

Ok..for me the replay value doesnt come from "earning" the car, it comes from "taming" the car.

I dont want to spend HOURS of blood sweat and tears to earn a car, I want to spend HOURS of blood sweat and tears running that car around a track to get it consistently .1 quicker.

To me, playing a game to unlock cars is NOT compelling. It is a lazy system game developers introduced to keep the ADAD generation occupied long enough to rave about their games.

Some games suit that style, but I dont enjoy them much.

I have NEVER used a cheat code to unlock anything in my life, and some games do hold some interest for me....for a short period of time, but racing SIMS not racing GAMES (Gt, Forza, anything by codemasters) do not need to have an "unlock" component, its not the market they are aimed at :)

15. NoClue48

NoClue48 Registered

Well, let's just agree to disagree on this.

I don't feel the need to have "earned" anything in a software package I've purchased; in this case a racing s-i-m-u-l-a-t-i-o-n. Having purchased a simulator, I expect to simulate racing at the level and complexity I choose; without having to "play" a role and progress through an imaginary "career". Like Slothman above, I will feel I've accomplished something when I shave off that elusive 0.1 second of time.

Oh... I am jaded. However, at age 64, I feel I've "earned" the right to that. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2012
  16. ROON

ROON Registered

Uncalled for.

No, because that is what differentiates a simulator from a game. Imagine if you opened up a new copy of Microsoft Flight Simulator, you want to fly A340's but instead you're restricted to flying Cessna's until you amass the hours required to move onto commercial jetliners. This would disappoint a lot of people who aren't interested in prop aircraft or short charter or private flights. Similarly, a lot of sim racers aren't interested in chugging around Mills in modified hatches until the game tells us what we already know: that we're now skilled enough to race the big boy's toys. The instant access to the high powered cars doesn't spoil the game, because sim racers are there for the on-track moments: making that pass that you've been lining up for several laps stick; nailing a qualifying lap and putting yourself on pole; cutting through the field and regaining your place after an early race spin; or crossing the line in first place, feeling your heart pumping hard in your chest. These are the thrills of sim racing, not trundling around in a car that bores you because you're not allowed to have any better.

Then I would suggest a game like F1 2010, where you have to complete several seasons in mid to low field teams until you're able to drive the fastest cars. That game is heavily career central, and not pure sim racing.

Also uncalled for.

I played games like Donkey Kong Country, where my brother and I would spend weeks trying to beat the minecart rollercoaster stages, dying and having to restart hundreds of times. Or Prince of Persia where navigating traps and obstacle courses required precision, careful thought and pre-planning.

What about you?

You play your games your way, and let other people play their games their way, okay?

No, that is what makes you want to come back again. That's not what I seek in rF2.

I definitely understand what you're saying, but contrary to what you may believe, it's not what everyone wants out of rF2. Your slander and provocation of those who don't want a career mode almost invalidates your point. The opinions of NoClue48 and phil23 are just as valid as anyone else's on this board, to suggest that they should be ashamed of themselves is downright rude, especially when their opinions are founded on compromise, stating that they don't support a mandatory career mode. You do know what that means, right? It means you could still play career mode, but those of us who don't want to can skip or disable it. What's so bad about that?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2012
  17. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

1) The ability to implement non-linear shocks.
    2) The change from a list of gear selection to a table.
    3) The ability to alter the kneepoint of the damper per click.

18. isamu

isamu Registered

Well I guess I will simply have to agree to disagree, and say that I come from a different school of thought. But if that is how you would like to play the sim, then by all means go right ahead. And no ROON, I was not trying to be rude, I just got caught up in the moment. Your points are valid though and I acknowledge them. By the way yes I already own both F1 games but have not completed the career mode in 2011 yet because 2011's career mode is simply broken.

19. Vien1

Vien1 Registered

I'd like to watch replay videos with VLC player or something like that. So we don't have to start up rfactor always when we want to watch replays.

20. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Meaning all the replays would be saved as static video files? That'd take up insane amounts of hard drive space, and almost just insane amounts of processor time to render them during/after each race. Not gonna happen.

The replay files don't include any visual data, nothing rendered, just information about what cars/track were used, speeds and angles of the cars, gears, brake, clutch and gas position etc. so there's absolutely nothing for VLC or other video players to work with. The only way it could "realistically" work would be if the VLC folks upgraded their player to start rFactor to render the game while it plays inside their window, or some other solution like that.