1st Attempt- Willow Springs Raceway -Any Advise or help would be Great :)

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Mitt Wilson, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Mitt Wilson

Mitt Wilson Registered

Alright I though that after Years of Downloading tracks to race on I would like to Give Back to the community and Remake a Famed Local track in California. http://www.willowspringsraceway.com/
    For those that do not know of WillowSprings it is the Fastest track on the West Coast of the USA, Based in the Mojave desert just North Of Lancaster,Ca.
    I will be attempting to build the track from "scratch". :confused:

Here is my list of tools:
    Google Earth
    Adobe Photoshop CS6
    3dsmax 2011 x32
    FileZilla - for Screenshots (troubleshooting)

Ok the first thing:
    Watched these 4 tuts- (at the end of each video the links to the next videos will appear.)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=NGBPeK_TsBs

-Added Photo to 3DSMAX Along with side Adjustments Per Freew67 :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHEfiLaZV0A&list=UUpLNIe6w_VLEZ77_b-fb_mg&index=2&feature=plcp
    - Mesh the Track...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXZ65MAiyHE&list=UUpLNIe6w_VLEZ77_b-fb_mg&index=3&feature=plcp

Update- I have Photoshoped the Track texture that will be used for the main track- I designed it to work well with HDR toning and the awesome rubber buildup that happens in RF2.
    View attachment 2915
    Update- Here is the Pit Track Texture- as above it is optimized for HDR Toning!
    View attachment 2916

Update- 6/24/2012- Crafted a Line with verts around the Inside of the track- used around 50 verts- the results are great-
    Next I will be working on getting rest of the track splines and mesh done.
    I need to work on the Road Texture Mesh because when I applied the texture It was really stretched and didnt look like the texture I have above!! Work in Progress!

Update= 6/25/2012 -Alright!! Got MAX 2011 Working correctly with the GMotor plugs!!
    I will be taking a big chunk of the day to Organize the 50 thousand odd files and folders that magically ended up on my desktop of the past week lolol But then after I will move from creating the track mesh and jump to adding splines for the infields. :)

Update- 6/28/2012- Finished the Inner track line for the Track Mesh..
    View attachment 2989

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2012
  2. Cristian Why

Cristian Why Registered

3. Mitt Wilson

Mitt Wilson Registered

4. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

5. Mitt Wilson

Mitt Wilson Registered

6. Banger

Banger Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2012
  7. Cristian Why

Cristian Why Registered

add your track to zip and post it online, someone will have a look

8. Mitt Wilson

Mitt Wilson Registered

OK I will do that. But I think it may be a setting in my 3dsmax 2010.. idk I was able to start a line that had verts on them...
    I will need o get some textures going here later today!- Whats so funny is I was behind this PC for HOOOOOOURS yesterday and the only thing I got done was Adding the photo to 3DSMAX and saving it lololol

9. freew67

freew67 Registered

Baby steps... :) Mitt no worries on how slow things are moving. If your learning max and track stuff at the same time, it will take a bit at the start. Eventually things will start clicking. I have a vid on what I suggest to change in max when you first get it installed. I saw you joined my forum so you know where to find it. If you dont have a photo account (or an ftp) I suggest get one so you can post screen shots of your issues. Helps when folks can see the problem.

Good luck!

10. Banger

Banger Registered

your tellling me three attempts & three deletes :D , I can easy now setup all the files to appear in menu, now for the track :D

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2012
  11. Mitt Wilson

Mitt Wilson Registered

Texture Updates added to O/P

Issues: When I am trying to create a line over the track photo- in the top left the view is set for Top, problem is every time I click to create a point I dont see a line after clicking I only see the Points.. And when I look at the Perspective view in the lower right I can see the Line But I dont see the points!!....

If I had hair it would be all over the house lol!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2012
  12. Banger

Banger Registered

how have you got the bitmap image loaded, using alt+b or imported on to a plane

ALT+b: version
    ---------------
    top view selected
    selected file (files button)
    click match bitmap
    click lock zoom/pan

that it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2012
  13. Mitt Wilson

Mitt Wilson Registered

Question-
    The track that is being made is fairly bump and has track elevation changes.. that being said what would be the best build for the base track ? (ie: Splines or the 4X4X4..or...)
    I have tried to build the base with just a plane but I cant see how to adjust the track for say in a turn half the track has camber while the rest is flat...

14. Cristian Why

Cristian Why Registered

15. Mitt Wilson

Mitt Wilson Registered

Question- I am laying the Mesh down for the track- And im using the Path Deform tool- When I go to "pick path" I cant pick my track line, I dont have anything frozen.. any ideas?
    View attachment 2990

16. Mitt Wilson

Mitt Wilson Registered

1 more thing This is how im building- Plane > Photo of track > Line for track mesh > Apply Mesh > Add mountains and hills to terrain... and this is all in 1 save file , is this the correct build direction?

17. blakboks

blakboks Registered

It looks like you're trying to apply the path deform to the path itself. Select the road mesh, then apply the Path Deform. Then click 'Pick Path' in the modifier panel, then choose the path. :)

I've also noticed that 3DSMax sometimes has trouble picking things 'through' others. In which case, you can always hit the 'h' key while in "pick path mode" to bring up the selection list.

18. Mitt Wilson

Mitt Wilson Registered

View attachment 2991
    Yup that worked!- but now it lays down in a straight line... lol

19. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Hmmm...strange, it doesn't look like you've got the modifier on the mesh. Edit: nevermind, on second look, i realized you have the image plane selected.

My computer is down at the moment so I can't check it for myself. But I'd recommend trying the 'move to path' option and the different 'path deform axis' options (looks like you may want the X-axis).