Is this performance normal?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tlsmikey, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Travis

Travis Registered

Id I take a look at the VR thread to see what settings the VR users have as triple screens and VR performance demands may be very similar.

Further, we don't know what resolution you are running, more options could be offered to assist. I have a friend with the same GPU and I'm happy to post his settings which may offer a decent starting point.

Also upgrade to the latest NVIDIA drivers which may boost performance.

2. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

@tlsmikey

I suggest for performance testing to use the McLaren S397 GT3 (or other S397 GT3), associated with the Atlanta MP track.

The advantage of Atlanta is that it is probably the most demanding official track, and you can put up to 50 AI which is a lot.

So if the settings are validated by the tests, 99.9% of the circuits will work correctly.

Many people say that the S397 GT3 are more demanding than average : still a way to have a small margin for testing.

3. marvelharvey

marvelharvey Registered

Hmm, that performance doesn't sound right for your GPU/CPU combo.

I used to run a GTX 1080 with a 6600k, at a resolution of 3840x1600 (21:9) and had amazing performance. I could run with maximum in-game graphical settings, some light super sampling through Nvidia Inspector, medium post processing and 30 cars visible. And this too was around sunset.

You are pushing an almost identical amount of pixels (6220800 compared to me, 6144000).

The only thing different is probably the car/track combo. My results were from before I purchased the GPU- hungry GT3s were released and were most likely me in the Skippies at Suzuka.

4. Andregee

Andregee Registered

The resolution is only one thing, multiscreen rendering another which needs more CPU too so you can't compare it

5. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

tlsmikey Have you tried setting Post Effects to none? Also some say that leaving GPU: to auto might cause performance issues. upload_2018-7-21_14-11-38.png

6. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

That makes you wonder what is the point of building a modding platform if this excuse will be used every damn time lol

enduser likes this.
  7. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Yes more needs to be done to supply modders with the correct ways to do things to get the same performance as official content

F1Aussie and mesfigas like this.
  8. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

This

9. stonec

stonec Registered

It's not difficult to mod a track in rF2, the process is largely the same as in rF1, with addition of realroad. I have done work on both cars and tracks and I would say building cars require more detail knowledge. The problem isn't lack of information IMO, it's more the fact that most mods are simple conversions from other games, with little effort spent. There is no way of knowing if a modder spent 1 or 100 hours to optimize their track, but I would lean towards 1 hour in most cases. Many modded tracks lack basic improvements in performance from things like LODs, sensible reflection maps, limited rear view objects etc. When comparing a well built track and a quick conversion, the improvement in FPS can easily go above 100%. This improvement is much bigger than is ever achieved from any rF2 engine optimization.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Because a lot of modders are not as good as optimizing as others, therefore you get an imbalance which the Devs have little control over.

11. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Agree with all the offered suggestions but would add suggestion to turn off Multiview (per Andregee above?) and arrange your monitors in a straight line. That will give a big FPS boost across the board. You'll get only a tiny bit less wide overall FOV and it's not that hard to adapt to visually. IMO it's well worth the trade off.

Alex72 likes this.
  12. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Will have to test this. Cheers.

13. enduser

enduser Registered

Whats the point? what else... money, less fees, better cost/content ratio, no official support means freeing man-hours for developing DLCs and core engine.

And yea its actually not much of an excuse since the game content is intended to be like that and designed as a modding platform from the start which means relying on mods (like rfactor 1) , watch "Racing into the future! - [Luminis DevCon 2018]" in yt so you dont have to take my word.

The developer knows beforehand the implications of this, like no quality control, poor content optimization etc. but more content for the base price which would hardly exist otherwise imho, its in the nature of such titles.

Bottom line is we all play mods, likewise for league servers... official content is only a handful of tracks when u divide per era/car class which you re gonna combine most of the time. Among them as 3PA belongs the most demanding track i think , at least for me much more demanding than road altlanta, which is matsusaka, is that actually official content or not i dont really care and its not like the 5-6 S397 labeled tracks look identical ... so yea official content ...

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018